Thread: Nels J. Billstrom

Nels J. Billstrom

Hello,

Has anyone heard of any older machinary manufatured by Nels J. Billstrom out of Rockland Ill. I am looking for some information on a 24" power jointer. Actually the cut maybe wider, I need to measure it. The machine is a monster, handwheels all over it. Big cast iron wheels on the base about 8-10 inches in diameter. I would say the machine is about 3 or 4 feet wide and maybe 6 feet long or longer. She is a beast but I bet it does a sweet job with lumber. I googled the name but only came up with a few hits and nothing like this machine.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Does the jointer you have (or are referencing) have a power feeder on top? If so, are you sure the jointer is made by Billstrom or just the feeder? Billstrom is known to have made after-market power feeders for jointers back in the day. These early feeders looked much like a box that covered the top of the jointer. Here's an old engraving at OWWM.com...
    http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/image.asp?id=331

If in fact you ascertain that the underlying jointer is marked Billstrom, the folks at OWWM.com would love to hear about it.
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Billstrom

Actually, you may be correct as the name plate is on the top of the machine. I will have to try to dig it out to see what on the bottom. If this is a feeder on top, it must be the biggest old Nels built. I will check it out and let you know. Thanks for the information!!!