Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Well, another weekend has come and gone and we got some very much needed rain!!!!! Yea!!!!!!

<b>I got to spend time in my shop this weekend!!!!!!!!</b>

Spent some time helping a local guy plane some red cedar that he's putting in his house for a room. A lot of nice wood!!!!

Spend some time on the lathe turning a couple of things I have been wanting to get done. Joseph (my 10 year old son) and I processed and sealed about 32 bowl blanks on Friday to get my yard cleaned up around the shop. I still have several large chunks of Pecan to make into bowl blanks and I know that Jim Becker's name is on one of those Pecan bowl blanks and Joh Hart's name is on a Silver Poplar crotch that will be soon heading their way.

Spent some time Saturday teaching Joseph some about turning bowls. Thanks to Mark Cothren, Joseph has now turned 3 bowls (with some help of course) out of some nice and wet Maple. Thanks Mark. It was nice teaching him about turning on some wood that is soft enough to be forgiving while teaching him. I had to build a 9" tall platform for him to stand on while turning, but he sure does like working in the shop!!! Shoot, he's already planning to build a shop with his house inside part of it so he won't have to drive to work when he's older!!!!! Yes....I'm a proud Papa!!!!!!

Spent Sunday tending to the LOML as she was running a fever and bad soar throat and tending to my youngest son since he's been sick for almost a week now. Thanks to our new "medical coverage at work", we can't afford to take them to the doctor until we get our deductible out of the way and that's only $3,200......So paying out right for my son's doctor's visit is out of the question for now. Gotta love companies wanting to save "their" pockets!!!!

Back to work today. So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Well, my son ran a dedicated electrical line for my mini max T3 that I recently purchased, so I watched and learned from him. We also glued up some legs for his new post bed we are working on.

Also did a bit of cleaning, which is never ending....

Saturday we drove over to Angola, IN to meet Mike Evertsen so that he could buy my sliding table. In the evening I spent a couple hours in the shop putting the lighting in my finishing are back up and doing some general cleanup and arranging. Sunday I pretty much did nothing all day as the weather was nasty and I just didn't feel like doing anything.

Well this weekend we moved into the new house, so I have spent most of the weekend moving furniture and upacking boxes. We are all unpacked now and I can start putting the new shop together. I have a basement shop again but a little larger than my 100 sqft old shop, the new shop is 14' x 50', I guess I have to buy more tools to fill it up!

Just a small change for the shop. These are Rockler stools and as some may know they come in an off white color with the Rockler name on top. The color show every spec of dirt & looks terrible after a very short time. Sooo I wiped the Rockler name off with some solvent & washed the tops down with some heavy duty cleaner & wiped them down with Denatured Alcohol & sprayed them with a special vinyl spray. These stools have had the legs shortened a little more than 3" to make them comfortable to sit on at the bench.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

This weekend was one of "those" weekends where enough things being in disarray around the shop build up and you just MUST do something about it so;

1) I finished the installation of my MastRSlide sliding TS table (drive-by gloat I suppose). Given the way my TS is setup in the shop, the intrusive nature of this install had a cascading effect.
    2) Cleaned up - long overdue.
    3) Built a little "shelf" that attaches to my overarm guard to hold the MastRSlide fence when not in use.
    4) Built a small wall-box for the right side of the TS to hold all those "things" that accumulate on the right extension table behind the fence.
    5) Built a very simple wall-mounted clamp rack for my K-bodies so I don't have to lean them in the corner anymore.
    6) Built a jig for putting some eye-candy on a particurally large pantry cabinet face-frame to visually break it up (flutes & rosettes, etc).
    7) Sharpened the irons for my #7 and #5.
    8) Changed the blades and did some routine maintenance on my planer - long overdue.
    9) Made a batch of ZCI's for the TS - also long overdue
    10) Late on Sunday planed two 8' long cherry boards which was the perfect topper to a good weekend as planing revealed two truely remarkable boards. Ever get those boards which don't appear all that special and when you dress them they really come to life - these were two of those boards for me. Relatively straight grained, nothing all that special they just have that cherry shimmer, depth and color that make it the wonderful wood that it is.

Anyway, that was my weekend.

Besides the typical weekend chores, I made a couple of rolling tables for my son's play room. They were pretty simple box designs with a top slightly bigger and where made from the favorite wood product of Trading Spaces, MDF. I know, I know, but they serve the function I was looking for ..... cheap playroom furniture, that I will not worry about getting damaged. I still need to paint them. I also got a chance to put the second coat of wipe-on wipe-on finish on my bathroom vanity cabinet. Then it was time to cook the family some dinner, so I was done for the weekend.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Got a shed delivered to a guy about an hour away. We also started on the next one. If we get the weather to hold, I will be taking a day off this week to work on one too.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

My sons and I went to Rockler to pick up the PC 4212 dovetail jig that I bought last month.

I prepped my EZ Smart rails and base for use. I'm ready to make some sawdust now.

I also ran more base and door casings this weekend. Thank God for air nailers.

I took a long needed rest Saturday doing nothing but a few auctions on ebay. Sunday we went to Tyler to pick up a new machine for the wife to sell (execrise equip.) I rested a little bit Sunday too. No shop time this weekend....next weekend I am going to try and get Jana's table finished...right now the shop's full of bookshelves.

Planed all the walnut and cut to rough size for the 2 end tables I'm building for our bedroom. Layed out the boards for the 2 tops and the sides. Will let everything sit for a few days then plane and cut to final size.
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

It was a good weekend in the shop. I got 8 dresser drawers dovetailed, 4 assembled; dresser case shellaced. New kitchen door trim (that I made 2 months ago) installed on 5 doors , new blinds installed in kitchen and dining room, some shop cleanup. All in all, I feel like I accomplished something

Worked Saturday. Swapped out a 24,000 lb. super-con magnet with a 13,500 lb. super con.

Sunday, relaxed and dug a bunker!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Spent quite a bit of time in the shop this weekend constructing a red oak wall shelf unit that I will be hanging on the wall behind the bar in my bar room here at home. The project, still without its final finish, is detailed in another thread. This project has been on the back burner for a while and finally came to the forefront. Not much of anything else besides spending time cruising the internet. Still hoping for some freezing weather for a number of days so that my yard hardens and I can get out to the back forty and split what is left of a big pile of black locust for firewood.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Spent most of Friday chasing a clogged sewer drain, with no luck. Gave up at 2:00, ate lunch, and went on a search for PVC supplier for cyclone, again no solid luck. One more place I've been referred to. We'll try them tomorrow afternoon on the way home from work.
    Worked Sat am in the rain, spent the afternoon watching the Star's hockey game. Sunday was playing tree trimmer. Cut 1 big limb off the Willow, then cut 3 small trees down, 2 Elm, 1 fruit bearing Mulberry (why do people plant those against the driveway???? Second house I've owned I've had to chop a fruit bearing Mulberry tree down that hung over where I park my WHITE car ) Still a little of the small limbs and twigs for TLOML to bundle up. Now I'm sore. Good thing it's a little slow today here at work! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.