Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Close Call and damaged machine

Well, you could always make a very large sand flee out of it!

Glad to hear you're safe - machines can be replaced, people can't.

Wes

(caveat - If one is the head of a corporation - then people are replaceable.) Oh, that just drips with sarcasm doesn't it.

Dan,
    Brian Hale has several useful ideas for utilizing components of your jointer that no longer functions as originally intended. As your FIL is a machinist he can advise you also.

Frank
    Last edited by Frank Chaffee; 01-29-2006 at 2:55 PM.

I like Gary's advice. I would remove the cutter head before it went anywhere and then off to the junkie it goes. There are some nice new models out there now that the patents are off the Delta parallelogram design. That new Grizzly really looks good for the price. I have a Delta DJ20, but that Grizzly would be near the top of my list if I were in the market. Now that Delta and Porter Cable have been bought up by Black and Decker, I think that the level of service is going to drop and as we have seen here, Grizzly is really trying to get our business by providing good service. Spend the money now and enjoy the machine for a long, long time. I bought 5, count 'em 5, jointers before I got the one I have now. Do it right the first time.

CPeter

All great thoughts, I know full well that the machines should go. I went out this afternoon and gave the machine a closer inspection and realized the only reason that the knife did not hit me was the fact that I had the fence moved over the cutter head. The slot where the knife came from, the set screw was worn out. I put an allen wrench on the offending screw and found that it did tighten to a point, but with a little more torque it spun past the point of tight to loose, like the threads were striped.

In any event, I took the belt off the machine and rolled back into the corner. When I get some free time I will throw it in the truck and take it to the scrap yard myself. I guess I will revisit that previous thread about shop built machines and see what I can build around the motor

Dan

Whithout any doubt, I would scrap it!

You were lucky this time. You, or someone else, might not be lucky the next time.

Without having seen it, I would say scrap it. Many times folks get the idea that some of us OWWM guys would love to buy this thing and tinker with it. So they are sending emails with the old phrase.... boy have I got an old machine for you. Folks, the majority of vintage woodworking machines are simply put, JUNK. Only a small percentage made by a an even smaller group of companies actually made something that is worth the expense and effort of a ground up restoration. This machine aint one of them!

So its not even worth a second throught. But more importantly, DO NOT SELL THIS TO SOME OTHER WOODWORKER. There are product liability issues here and the company who made this as on OEM machine for Sears is most likely defunct. That means that if someone gets hurt, its conceivable that they can come after you. I would take a sledge hammer and kill the cutter head and then haul it off to the scrapper's laddle. This way is for sure that it will arrive next year as a 2007 Kia, Hondai or Toyota. Who knows, it may even show up as a new Grizzly. But its days as a jointer are over. Go shopping!
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

If the head hadn't been bent and needed repair work, I would say keep it. However, I would be worried about the head being out of balance and causing another accident.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

If it were me, I would be replacing the jointer AND my underwear!

Best advice is those who suggest doing whatever it takes to make sure the machine is out of commission forever.

I am also in agreement with the it should never see electrons again.

I would not scrap it though. Get the cutter head out and burry it in a hole or throw it in the river or somthing to get it far away from the machine.

The junk collector in me says keep the machine and as other people have said use it for the flat iron it has. You may be able to use other things as the years pass. If you do not have a great deal of room take it apart and save all the good stuff.

But never ever use it as a jointer again.

Work safe
    Take care
    Bob Oehler

ps let us know what jointer you get to replace it and don't forget the pictures.