Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What has happened at Popular Woodworking magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    For people new to woodworking the articles are probably just fine. The problem comes when we get old and our memory hasn't gone yet.
    So, you're saying our opinion of them will improve again as we grow along and reach the stage that our libraries need just one book, because it's so darned good every time we read it - and the same with the magazines? Something to look forward to...

Blog Entries
    I still enjoy the magazine when the articles are good. It may also be I was easier to please 20 years ago.

Blog Entries
    I bought the wood and have started the Shaker Step Ladder. I am using white pine and will make the top rung dark maple.

Man, it is cold in Galveston County Texas today. I haven't been this cold since I delivered the Oklahoma City Oklahoman newspaper
    in Oklahoma City sixty some years ago. It was a morning and afternoon paper route, the Oklahoman in the morning and the Times in the afternoon.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 03-04-2019 at 2:38 PM.

Cold in Texas? It was -7° here this morning, and now it's snowing......
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    At this minute it is 47 degrees in Dickinson, Galveston County, Texas. When I walked my Black Lab Madison this morning, I wore a feather down coat. This is cold for our location.
    I remember as a high school kid in Oklahoma City delivering papers when the temperature was well below freezing.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 03-05-2019 at 3:15 PM.

For sure, everything is relative. My brother in law lives down in Galveston Bay, in your neck of the woods. When he comes up here, he never leaves the front of the fireplace, if it's winter. He grew up here, too, but he's in his 60's now, and got used to the warmer temps. This winter is holding on longer than it should. We're still in a deep freeze here.
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    I grew up in Oklahoma where it does get cold.
    Today in Galveston County Texas, it is in the 40's and 50's, and I am cold.
    Of course thin blooded old men tend to get cold, it sure beats the alternative though. I'm thankful to be here.

But, Lowel, you can make a CNC router/outfeed table! You know you want one.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

I remember cold snaps in northwest Kansas where I grew up, and walking past the bank for an entire week in the morning on the way to grade school when the bank Time/Temperature display showed -10. That was a cold week.

Stew

I suspect this thread is symptomatic of what has happened at Pop Woodworking i.e. it has become irrelevant to the original topic.

Quote Originally Posted by John Patric View Post
    I suspect this thread is symptomatic of what has happened at Pop Woodworking i.e. it has become irrelevant to the original topic.
    Speaking of that, I just acquired all the issues of Home Furniture by Taunton Press at a local antique mall. Talk about inspiring, it's a shame a magazine like that doesn't exist anymore. Incredible magazine.

As an alternative, there are a lot of outstanding videos available online; but I don't have the time or inclination to sort through all the junk that is also there. I know I'm missing out on a lot of good stuff. I would gladly pay for a "publication" that identifies, abstracts, organizes, and links to the good videos.

An easier way to find good videos is to look at the authors and pick from the ones who reliably make good content. That will shave down the numbers quickly.

I guess it comes as no great surprise that F&W has filed for bankruptcy. For now no more "Popular Woodworking"
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonysil.../#125d5684355d It says magazines will operate until sold, which makes sense as a dead magazine is probably worth next to nothing.