Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kreg Set-up Question

Nice dust collection system Jay. My usual technique is to clamp the jig down to a table, clamp in the piece that I'm drilling into, then drill with my right hand while holding the shop vac near the outlet with my left hand. When I pull the bit out, I usually shift the shop vac up to near that drill collet to catch the dust/chips on the way out. But maybe I'll try your cage, looks easy to make.

I did the same thing as Jay because I got tired of cleaning up the chips. My design looks slightly different but only because I use a bigger hose.

I also, attached the jig to a board and hang it on the wall when not in use. It gets a lot of use in my shop though. A fantastic tool it is!

Wes,

I just made this today for my K3 to make some frames for wainscot for our foyer to match the frame and panel look of the mantel I did this past Fall.

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images

I built the jig as described and it hangs from the end of my shop cabinets. The hardware (step bit and driver bits) are kept in easy reach in my roll around mechanics tool chest.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Knoll
    I built the plywood jig

And then before they figured it out, I made a chip collector (or did they copy my idea )

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19802

So those of us with the "old" version can have the dust/chip collection capability for about an hour of shop time and some scraps

Jay
    What a neat idea Jay, thanks for that. I wasn't on SMC when you posted orginally so it's fortuitous that you mentioned it again. I have one of the "old" Kreg kits (screwed to a lump of ply like they suggested). I'm going add the DC port per your idea. No need for a K3 then, right?

Cheers,
    Dave F.

I built the plywood jig

And then before they figured it out, I made a chip collector (or did they copy my idea )

So those of us with the "old" version can have the dust/chip collection capability for about an hour of shop time and some scraps

Jay
    Thanks Jay, it looks like a great idea. Well done! Hey, there is even a Festool hose in the picture.

I will make a copy of your little house later today. I was not using my pocket hole system much when you originally posted this, so I did not copy the idea then. Now, I am using it a lot, so I thank you for drawing this to our attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Unni
    I second Frank Pellow's approach. Build the plywood jig, drill a hole in it and hang it on the wall. Done.

-joe
    That's what I did with mine. Not too tough, even for me!

I did the same as FRANK PELLOW and it works great.
    Jerry in the Sunshine State
    Nam Vet, 67-68
    "If you're going to be stupid you got to be tough"

Hey Pete,

The fireplace looks great! Did it get done before the holidays - or during?
    Seriously, you should post it, I think there would be others that could learn from your experience.

Wes

I built a chip collection "birdhouse" for my Kreg jig too too

I built the plywood jig

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Thanks Jay, it looks like a great idea. Well done! Hey, there is even a Festool hose in the picture.

I will make a copy of your little house later today. I was not using my pocket hole system much when you originally posted this, so I did not copy the idea then. Now, I am using it a lot, so I thank you for drawing this to our attention.
    Jay, I want to thank you again for this idea. I made the jig two days ago then used it last night and it's great. My "birdhouse" in a little different than yours. Because the sides of the Kreg jig are slightly angled, I angled the sides of the "birdhouse" and I made it tight so that it self clamps to the Kreg jig and stays in place when I hang the whole thing on the wall.

My Grandson Ethan (3 and a half) will be happy to see this. About 3 weeks ago, he was "helping" me to drill some holes and was bothered by the fact that we were creating chips on the bench and floor.

I have mine hanging from the open rafters in the shop--two holes on the board--two pegs in the rafter--No problems mate!!

You[re welcome

Frank

Glad it worked out for you.

Mine is angled as well, guess it doesn't show in the pics

Jay