Thread: Glue seepage fix

Glue seepage fix

I’m nearly finished a maple end grain cutting board for a wedding gift. I had it sanded down nicely and decided to add initials and wedding date to the board. Not trusting my ability with a wood burner, I routed out a small rectangle, made an inlay to fit it and wood burned the lettering. This allowed me to screw it up once or twice before I glued it in. That worked well and it looks great. However, in my rush to get this done, I didn’t sand sufficiently to remove glue that seeped into the end grain around the inlay a bit. I sanded it and it looked good but once I put a heavy coat of mineral oil on it, these spots popped out visually. It bothers me enough that despite the pressing time issues, I need to try and fix it. My plan is to sand the entire surface starting at 120 (and working my way up) and then going back to the mineral oil. Then a final coat of mineral oil with some form of wax in it, either a homemade batch or something prepared already (depending on my time and level of annoyance).

But considering I have no time to screw this up again, I thought I’d elicit a few thoughts on if this is my best approach.
    Last edited by Tom Porter; 06-20-2019 at 8:50 AM. Reason: Grammar error