Thread: Houston Creekers meet

Houston Creekers meet

One of the supporters of the Houston woodturners group, Steve LeGrue who owns The Cutting Edge opens his shop/classroom to turners on teh first Monday of the month for interested turners to use his machines for any project they might like. It gives people a chance to use almost anything in the way of spinny things he sells (PM, Jet, Delta, and Oneway) and it is a chance to learn from each other. Tonight I was able to meet Brad Schmidt, Tom Jones, and Lloyd Stahl, all creekers and turners. For the picture police:
    1. Tom Jones
    2. Brad turning a nice hunk of walnut.
    3. Lloyd (with the beard)
    4. Brad and Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Cecil that looks like everyone is having a great time. That would be so cool to have something like that around here.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

A good time was had by all. I really enjoyed meeting and talking with Cecil for the first time. It amazes me the number of fine and talented people I meet here on SMC, and every one is as genuine in person as here on the forums. Unfortunately, I forgot my own camera and got so busy teaching that I didn't get Cecil's camera to get a shot of him! (sorry Cecil, i'll get it next time!) I've known Lloyd for quite a while now (another great SMCer as well) and as for Tom... where was my head at tonight I guess I was intoxicated by green walnut juices We didn't even get to meet . Tom, I hope you come next time so we can talk a bit. Hope y'all had fun, I know I did as always

BTW - Steve LeGrue deserves alot of credit for being so generous with his shop, tools, and his time. I've been doing first Monday with him for 4 years now and he really goes the extra mile to help budding and experienced turners alike.
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 02-06-2006 at 11:59 PM.

I kept looking over and drooling at that huge chunk of walnut you were turning ... walnut is my favorite wood. But I got hooked into what Kevin was turning and he very kindly answered my questions for an hour then handed me some wood and told me to give it a try.

Folks.......as I approach the point of having everything I need to start turning I turn green with envy seeing your get-together! I'm going to start using my new Stuff as soon as I have everything but to have the opportunity to see it done live...maybe try something with hands-on, onsite tutoring....WOW! Congrats!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Get-togethers are always a treat! Looks like you all had a great time.

Free bonus avatars for Lloyd and Tom attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jones III
    I kept looking over and drooling at that huge chunk of walnut you were turning ... walnut is my favorite wood. But I got hooked into what Kevin was turning and he very kindly answered my questions for an hour then handed me some wood and told me to give it a try.
    Kevin is another Katy-ite. Usually he's turning lidded boxes, is that what you guys were doing last night? Hope you had fun, we'll catch up next time.

Though not really into this "spinny" thing right now it sure would be nice to meet some fellow 'Creekers. I take it Steve's shop is on the west side of town, could someone give me directions, I'm just north of Humble.
    David

Steve's shop is at Beltway 8 and 59 South.
    http://www.cuttingedgetools.com/
    It is a good shop with lots of tools not just turning tools. Steve and his staff are great, trustworthy and knowledgeable.

Kevin was turning "acorns". I think the nut part was pecan and the cap/stem was walnut. It was very much like a lidded box since the nut fit into the stem like a box and lid. He made one on the spot and sent me home with it as a sample along with a couple blanks. It was actually a great project for a First Monday since it only took him an hour to make one from scratch and it utilized several different skills.
    Last edited by Tom Jones III; 02-07-2006 at 11:30 AM.

David, I second what Tom said about Steve LeGru. I have found both he and his staff to be very knowledgeable and helpful. While it is a PITA for me to make the drive from Clear Lake I always find it to be worthwhile. Without going into the good and bad of brands "R" and "W", which are closer to you I think you would find a trip there interesting. Oh, yes, bring money.

Cecil, I make it to the Cutting Edge at least every couple of months,
    usually on a Tuesday or Thursday when I take LOML to the medical
    center. Didn't know that you guys have a Monday meeting...I would
    like to visit with you guys and learn a little or a lot! Is it by invitation
    only?

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Arnold
    David, I second what Tom said about Steve LeGru. I have found both he and his staff to be very knowledgeable and helpful. While it is a PITA for me to make the drive from Clear Lake I always find it to be worthwhile. Without going into the good and bad of brands "R" and "W", which are closer to you I think you would find a trip there interesting. Oh, yes, bring money.
    The drive from the north side is what I'm worried about not the mileage but the traffic guess thats what the EZTag is for. I might try and crash the party next month if my DIL isn't having my first grandbaby.

Money, whats that .......those little pieces of plastic in my wallet?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ramsey
    Cecil, I make it to the Cutting Edge at least every couple of months,
    usually on a Tuesday or Thursday when I take LOML to the medical
    center. Didn't know that you guys have a Monday meeting...I would
    like to visit with you guys and learn a little or a lot! Is it by invitation
    only?
    No invitation necessary Mike, but always call the store first to make sure the meeting is on schedule. Sometimes unforseen circumstances or other obligations cause us to skip a meeting here or there. If Steve does the Houston WW show again this year, I suspect he'll cancel the April 3 meeting for sure. Hope you can make it!

David, I always kid Steve about a Clear Lake discount since I think it cost $4 plus gas to visit. He comes back with the fact I can always use the other roads.

Mike, I would love to see you show up. Nice bunch of people, lots of turning.

Thanks guys, I'll try to make the March meeting. I will call first!
    Looking forward to it. Only a 200 mile or so round trip .