I had a Nova Comet II for about 7 years when the new Nova Comet 14 came out. I bought one of the 30 test models hoping to get an upgrade and 14" and more power sounded GREAT. It did not work out and I returned it but like getting new car fever, I decided to still upgrade when I found the Rikon 70-220VSR on sale at Christmas. It came early and I got one early October. I have found the Rikon to be a solid machine and definitely a step up from the Comet II. Of course, there was an initial glitch with tachometer reading that the factory sent parts and I was able to change out. I had some surgery early September that has kept me off my Powermatic 3520B and using my midi. The pictures show a side grain vase of Mesquite about 7"D x 12"H that I had roughed out green before surgery but left to dry before finishing and turning off bottom. The jam chuck is old Don Pencil shaft, sanding disk with shelf liner for drive, and 2x6 disk insert with shelf liner pad for support. There was some unbalance due to a little warpage, but piece turned to final thickness and only needed sanding and gluing the shake cracks that were present. I turned the tenon down to small nub and then cut off with flush cut saw and plastic shield. Not a problem for the little Rikon. I could have done the initial turning based on some other pieces turned. I bolted the lathe to the stand and the low speed range gets slow enough to handle a fair amount of unbalance.
Rikon Lathe 1.jpgRikon Lathe 2.jpgRikon Lathe 3.jpgRikon Lathe 4.jpg