Thread: Can anyone tell me what these chisel/knife/gouge things are?!

Can anyone tell me what these chisel/knife/gouge things are?!

8CF935B1-E9C0-488A-BEEE-0AB8EB30B242.jpg98805F0B-F5CF-464A-8663-A4D8DE7F1983.jpg74FBCE67-6590-427C-BE04-2333EB46CBAF.jpg2AAF16DD-748D-498E-B47D-E1EC9F4E8A55.jpg00F9B339-849D-4A8B-9625-23C72AB1A996.jpgGot this set of NOS blades still in cosmoline, can’t for the life of me figure out what they’d be? Weirdest part is they’re sharp along the long edges on the sides. I have zero clue, maybe y’all know?

Mike, I would guess fine cut rasps used for curved work.

ken

Thanks Ken, but they aren’t coarse on their faces and backs, just machines a bit roughly and sharpened on the long edges. The only one that had been honed is the triangular one, it’s sharp.

They are scrapers for Babbitt bearings, soft metal bearings which are cast in place on old machinery

Warren thanks a million, that makes perfect sense. I’m going to see if they scrape decent shavings off hard maple.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    They are scrapers for Babbitt bearings, soft metal bearings which are cast in place on old machinery
    That was also going to be my reply.

Found this via Google > Osborne No. MT2 Bearing Scraper

Since it is on ebay TOS do not allow posting a link. The ebay item # is eluding me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cornwall View Post
    Warren thanks a million, that makes perfect sense. I’m going to see if they scrape decent shavings off hard maple.
    When you see what they sell for you may have second thoughts on that, especially since yours are 'vintage.'

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks a million guys, I really would not have puzzled that one out on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    Warren,

Thanks, I should have recognized them as I grew up over my Dad's shop and even poured a few Babbitt bearings back in the day.

ken