Thread: Recommendations for sailboat for novice sailors

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    What is your size, and how athletic are you. I've been sailing most of my life, and can sail anything that floats, and some things that don't. My Wife and I have taught sailing lessons on anything from Sailboards (we were Windsurfer Master Instructors in the early '80's), to big boats, and catamarans (raced professionally).

I would suggest to learn to be a proficient sailor yourself, before dragging the family along. Take lessons (shouldn't take many), or if you live near water, buy a used Laser if you are fairly athletic, and not unusually small. Most of the best sailors in the World started on a Laser. They make different sized rigs for different body weights. If your Daughter enjoyed sailing an Optimist at camp, she'll love the small rig Laser when she's a little bigger.

Lasers have gotten more expensive since it became an Olympic class, but there are thousands of used ones around. Don't get one with a soft hull, or hull that leaks. You want to be able to sail, and not have to work on the boat.

I would advise to become a proficient sailor before deciding which design boat to construct. There are so Many different designs because there are so many different requirements, and you don't have any valid requirements if you don't know how to safely get out, and back, and have fun in the process. It's one of those things that's simple, once you know how, but it's far from simple when you first start. Most who start decide it's not for them.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-05-2020 at 4:22 PM.