Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Why thank you Jim.

I’m not often proud, but I am this time.

As for work well clearly I agree and I would think they do also. My boss on the other hand I think “thinks” he wants me around as he likes to be involved in everything. Plus having someone to do this and or that on a whim is also probably understandably attractive.

However your right my shop is nothing like the shop needed to build the caliber and quality of work I am now building in a efficient manner.

It’s kinda funny looking back. Well not so much just looking back. I can remember vividly when I after the first few times I heard my two co workers mention the amount of noise and dust and how persistent it was and that it was not what they were used to prior to my arrival.

I also remember being dumbfounded and thinking “wait, wait, wait, wait, you guys say you are organ builders and have done this before” how in the hell would you expect anything else I’m just don’t my job building crap. But the facts were they had been building the insides of the organs and not the huge pieces that make up the facade or the consul. It’s two totally different things imo. What I’m doing is more like fine cabinet making on steroids as everything is huge. What they would do much of it is actually pretty small and the amount of machine time is pretty low vrs layout and or assembly. Woodworking wise it’s a very basic set of skills and machinery you might need. Although better machinery would clearly help even them doing what they do.

So I’m kinda hopeful that along with realizing I produce excellent work when I’m just left alone and that I’m always gonna cry that I need the appropriate machines and tooling wiTh anyThing less Than I have at home in my own shop. The hope is they will see it’s a pro for them also if they have not already. Not to mention no down tIme should the pandemic flare back up. Plus more space for them in a shop that’s already crammed full and one less person and personality to tend to. Also that noise and just and peaceful quite clean work environment I was told had changed so drastically they should have again. The clean I don’t get as I keep a spotless shop. The noise well, I’m a cabinet maker. I’ve always been told if it’s quiet in a cabinet shop the boss is not making any money and I’d say that pretty much very true as it’s not fine Woodworking and time hand cutting M&T..

Anyway only time will tell, I can’t control what will or will not be all I can do is continue to follow my path and do what’s best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    As you know, I've been following along with this not just here...that's a spectacular restoration/modernization, so Pat-rick yourself on the back!

BTW, I think it's to your employer's advantage to let you work from home. You have a far better shop setup when it comes to tools from my impression of comments you made back when you started with them and if that lets you provide accurate work in a timely fashion, it's win-win.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 06-27-2020 at 2:15 PM.