Thread: MFT top for breaking down panels plus band saw vs sliding table saw purchase

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jon, what part of WI are you in? I'm from Wausau originally, still got family there too

So for 10k I think you're investing too heavily into just a few setups/machines. Unless you're doing strictly lathe work, a bandsaw is only an "add-on" to a cabinet/furniture shop in my opinion. An MFT table setup is slow and limited compared to a true sliding table saw.

For 10k here's what I'd get:

Grizzly G0623x Sliding Table Saw - $3375 | I've personally had one, they're fantastic little sliders, especially for the money.
    13" Dewalt DW735 planer with Byrd head - This might set you back $1000 or so.
    Grizzly 8" Jointer - $1000+
    Grizzly 14" Bandsaw w/ 6" riser block - $600?
    Good dust collector - Like a roll-around single or double canister unit. Don't get a cheap mount-on-the-wall unit, get a real one, at least 2hp.
    Benchtop lathe - If you want to get into that work.

That should set you back 6-7k, and then I'd keep the remainder on-hand to buy things as you find a need, because you will. Don't put all your eggs into one basket until you know your exact needs.

Of course, you can find higher-end equipment for even less if you shop used. I'd be keeping an eye on the local market like a hawk, accumulating machinery until your shop is finished. That would give you the best bang for your buck.

EDIT: Keep in mind too, you'll need some good accessories for some of these machines. For instance, the lathe. You'll need decent chisels, maybe 6+, a good sharpener plus attachments, or a grinder, maybe a few chucks. Don't sink all your money into just "one machine" thinking that's all you're going to need. Spend 50-70% on machinery, and you'll end up using the remainder filling in your needs with hand tools and accessories.
    Last edited by Stewart Lang; 07-21-2020 at 11:56 AM.