Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dueling remotes - Anybody else have this problem?

Blog Entries
    I've got three remotes for my G0440. Seems the extra two were about $20 each. I have one at each "point" of my work "triangle" which makes them convenient enough from almost anywhere in the shop.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    You let remote control a contactor, and contactor controls DC. Contactor can have 110V AC coil, so you don't need a step down transformer for coil. In a couple months, Christmas tree light remotes will be on sale for about ten bucks.

So after reading this I dig out one of the boxes of Christmas stuff in storage and pull out the remote with timer that I use to control some outside lights during the Holiday season. I hooked it up to a single test light and stepped back the maximum distance in my shop of about 80 ft. It worked great. It even worked from outside the shop. I don't recall what was paid for it at least 3 years ago but probably less than $20. This is what I'll use with a contactor to control my DC or one of the non-timer versions. Thanks for the heads up Bruce. I would've never thought of it myself.

Here's the non-timer version of what I have.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Link2Hom...-309380398-_-N
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 07-23-2020 at 4:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Honestly, I gave up on "portable remote controls" for this kind of thing years ago and just put a centrally located wall switch for the cyclone that uses a contactor to turn the system off and on. Taking a few steps isn't inconvenient at all and it actually helps keep the pace down which likely helps with "mistake control". And it's unlikely that the wall switch will ever fail like remote controls tend to do over time. I've never gotten around to it, but I'll likely do the same for my air cleaner at some point...right now, I just plug it in at about head-height when I need it to run. (mine is older and doesn't have any form of internal remote control)
    I've done what Jim did. My dust collector uses a common light switch to control a specific purpose contactor, the contactor controls the motor. The switch is attached to the side of the overhead air cleaner which has a 'wind up' timer on it. I have heard of people buying a remote like you might use to control Christmas lights and wire it to a contactor's coil. That way the remote is only switching a very small load (the contactor's coil), not the motor.

I have the grizzly dust collector and a Laguna air fan very similar to what you have. Same thing happens. I just keep both remotes close by and turn the ceiling fan off with the laguna remote, for some reason, the grizzly remote turns both on, but the Laguna only turns the ceiling fan on/off. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Do either of the remotes and matching machines have multiple channels or dip switch settings? Maybe you can just set one to a different channel.
    This is actually very common for audio-visual equipment IR remotes (TV, amplifiers, receivers, DVD players, DVRs, etc.) because people sometimes have multiple similar items (5 such at my elbow). I've never seen it elsewhere, however.
    Read the manuals carefully, as the method is often cryptic/obtuse, or contact the manufacturer.

Good luck.