Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Makita Track/Plunge Saw

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    The cordless takes a thin kerf blade. Ive heard complaints.

I have the corded and would buy another
    The blade that comes with is 1.6mm kerf, but you can't buy a replacement from Makita in that width - so...........................

I have looked at the Makita for awhile and CPO Outlet seems to have good prices and occasionally has remanufactured track saws.

Blog Entries
    CPO is out of stock currently. They sell both new and refurb. Unfortunately they charge sales tax in Texas. Ace Tools. Tool Orbit and Industrial are the only ones I found that do charge. So that's a savings of about $30. Almost every site was exact same price, so Makita is apparently being pretty strict on resale pricing.
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    Additionally, the 39" rail doesn't come free with the corded saw. I was thinking I just need to spend a few dollars more and have two 55" rails vs 1 - 55" and 1 - 39". Thoughts?
    55 + 39 = 94" which isn't long enough for an 8' sheet. For me being able to cut an 8' sheet of plywood the long way would be one of the primary reasons to buy a track saw.

I have decided to go with the corded version. What are ya'lls thoughts on off brand tracks such as Powetec? https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-7138...ct_top?ie=UTF8 A good bit cheaper but worried about the quality. Actually for 2 55" tracks and connectors from AMZ is $193 vs Powertec at $127
    I just bought the power tech track 110” I am very happy with it.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

I've had good experience with PowerTec products to-date and those tracks do look nice in the photo. But I'll also chime in that having a 55" track plus a "longer than 8' track" is the way to go over joining two shorter ones. I also picked up a shorter Makita track a while back from an SMC Contributor in the classifieds and I find it very handy for using my track saw for mobile cross cutting and other tasks where the 55" track is cumbersome. (I use a Festool saw, but the Makita tracks are compatible) I actually just used that for the wide pine flooring project I've been working on as I had to use the one garage bay in my shop building to house and cut the 12' long material.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a DeWalt, corded. The hose is a much bigger issue than the cord. I velcro the cord to the hose and will try that idea of zip tying the cord to the hose connection on the saw - the DeWalt has the same arrangement. I got the long track, I think it's 106 inches, and a 55 with my saw originally. I later added the short one they offer, I think it is 44 inches. The short one is handy, I use it as much or more than the others. I have never connected my tracks, with the DeWalt you can only use one connector so it probably doesn't work as well. But connected tracks will never be as trouble free as a long track. But long tracks are expensive. Ideally, I think you want one, however.

So for your situation, which is similar to mine (shop use mainly), I would get the corded and I would want a 100+ inch track, a 59, and a shorter one. But you don't necessarily have to have all the tracks initially, depending on your projects. Two 59 inch could work but I think people do this more when they are having to transport the tracks a lot (100+ inches is harder to pack to take to a site).

Blog Entries
    Additionally, the 39" rail doesn't come free with the corded saw. I was thinking I just need to spend a few dollars more and have two 55" rails vs 1 - 55" and 1 - 39". Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    55 + 39 = 94" which isn't long enough for an 8' sheet. For me being able to cut an 8' sheet of plywood the long way would be one of the primary reasons to buy a track saw.
    Ditto here. I went with two 55" tracks. A 39" track is good for shorter cuts on smaller panels but, I have a tablesaw for that and so do not miss it. I do understand how it would be useful on the job but, not in exchange for a second 55" for me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Glenn, there are two connector systems for the tracks. One is a single and the other a double. Which do you have and are you happy with it?

Blog Entries
    Also, I was watching a review of the Makita and the Woodworker had the Insta Rail Square product. He did not like it and said he could not get customer satisfaction (no one ever answered his email) from the Manufacturer norToolNut. His review of the kit starts at about 11:40 secs in to the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op511kzrzNs&t=1s

I had both, corded & cordless dewalt, just sold the corded one, the cordless dewalt with 60 volt battery does a great job. I do most cutting outside the shop than bring the pcs in so dust control is not an issue, when I have to cut inside just hook up to the dust collector. When I bought the kit it came with the 102 & 55 inch tracks , just make sure to leave it longer where you start the cut so the saw is supported.

For mostly shop work I'd go corded. I have the F-55 with the two-55 and 1-36" or so. The while the longer units are great I probably use the shorter one the most and find it very convenient to have it available. I fought the longer units for a couple years and then got the shorter piece. I think you "spend a little more" idea is a good one. You won't be disappointed.

I have the corded version with a 55" track....works great for breaking down sheet goods....much safer than my table saw. Buy clamps for the track...I got the dewalt ones and they fit perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    One of the unique things the Makita does is lock to the rail during bevel cuts. I would not want to give up that feature for a few bucks if the Powertec rails aren't complaint.

Attachment 439442

I have some other items from Powertec and they are of good quality.
    How does it lock to the rail and still move along the track? Dumb question?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hardin View Post
    How does it lock to the rail and still move along the track? Dumb question?

It has a little flip latch that catches under part of the profile. The "normal" guides on the rail guide the saw, the "keeper" is not a tight fit, just a non-tip feature. Something pointed out in a few reviews that I kind of gave a "meh" response to. I benefited from it on my very first project . . . who knew?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler