Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newby cabinet question

I have asked the big box stores to bring down another stack of wood if there is just leftover pieces there.
    For cabinets and finer pieces you need to find a hardwood supplier or order online. The first time I ordered mahogany online I got much more so I wouldn’t have to deal with it again and besides, prices go up. A tractor trailer stopped in front of my house with a pallet of 13ft planks on it. I almost had a heart attack, he was parked on a fairly busy road. He started taking pieces out and I grabbed a hand truck. I read an article about buying wood for a single project, it said to order twice as much as you figured. It’s not a cheap hobby or business. The leftovers will get used for something eventually but you need a quantity to pick your pieces from. You start with 4/4 or sometimes 5/4 to get your straight pieces from by using a jointer to flatten one face and square one edge. The you can plane the other side and cut your pieces on the table saw after they are prepped.

All great ideas. I’ll look for other suppliers.

Since I don’t plan on doing much
    If this is the case, then you'd be better off ordering your doors and drawers from a dedicated operation. They'll make you whatever you want in whatever species. They'll almost always be cheaper than you can do it yourself too. Especially, if you don't have tooling already.

Of course, if you're really looking to expand your tool collection and or the sense of accomplishment of DIY - then this would be a non starter. The short answer to your orig. question is you order oversized and twice as much raw lumber as you need and then you size it yourself. After you've let it acclimate to your shop. Do you have a good jointer and planer ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    If this is the case, then you'd be better off ordering your doors and drawers from a dedicated operation. They'll make you whatever you want in whatever species. They'll almost always be cheaper than you can do it yourself too. Especially, if you don't have tooling already.

Of course, if you're really looking to expand your tool collection and or the sense of accomplishment of DIY - then this would be a non starter. The short answer to your orig. question is you order oversized and twice as much raw lumber as you need and then you size it yourself. After you've let it acclimate to your shop. Do you have a good jointer and planer ?
    Dave, I have a good planer (Dewalt) but no jointer. I really want to build them myself, because I thought that would help me pay for new equipment.
    Is ordering the doors really that inexpensive?

Ordering doors and drawers from the many suppliers of the same can be pretty economical when you account for both time and tooling. The single downside to ordering doors is that they may not be quite as particular relative to grain matching that some folks (like me) prefer for stain grade work, but that's pretty much consistent with a large percentage of orderable cabinetry anyway unless you buy full custom for big bucks and specify accordingly. And for paint grade...it's a no-brainer, honestly, especially for a full kitchen. Build the boxes for sure. But there's no harm in considering buying the doors and drawers (the latter preferable wherever they can be used in a kitchen, IMHO) and put your time into other details. You don't necessarily save any money building your own, honestly. It's mostly just the "satisfaction" factor...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hardin View Post
    Since I don’t plan on doing much, if any, raised panel doors, do you think a Jessum (or another brand) of router table/lift should be purchased? Or should I spring for a shaper like the Grizzly G1026? Mainly gonna use it for the most uniform tongue/groove. The prices are about the same ($1300+-).

Cutting tongue and groove is an easy job for a smaller shaper like the 3/4" spindle Grizzly G1026 you mention. You can cut the tongues easily in one pass with a couple of straight cutters and a spacer, and cut the grooves easily in one pass with a straight cutter. That would be much harder on a 120 volt universal motor router, although it is doable (and probably take more than one pass.) A shaper that size can run panel raising cutters but it typically requires more than one pass. You also don't necessarily have to get brand new tools. For example, a Delta HD shaper is the same size as a Grizzly G1026 and you can find them easily on local classified ads for a few hundred bucks in running condition.

Dave, I have a good planer (Dewalt) but no jointer. I really want to build them myself, because I thought that would help me pay for new equipment.
    Is ordering the doors really that inexpensive?
    Inexpensive .........I didn’t exactly say that. But it really depends on your threshold of pain.

What I am saying is that door/component operations buy lumber at prices you can only dream of. Ditto with their equipment. Even if you facTor your time at $0 and pay for shipping they’ll still be close in price per door. And you’re going to have to have to buy a fair amount of equipment to even get in the game. Put together a list of doors you need before proceeding and get a quote from a manuf. or two. Compare that with the price of lumber to fill your cutlist plus a generous tool budget. So , I am saying they are very likely to be cheaper than your total outlay for material and tools.

Jim is spot on re: grain selection. They’ll do an ok or even good job, but not the kind of heirloom selection a loving craftsman will spend hours on. Maple isn’t the sort of wood that people usually fawn over for homogeneous matching. It’s also not really that great for stain application, though it’s done all the time.

If you have a DW725, you’re in good shape. One of the other planers will certainly work but aren’t in the same league. No jointer ? That’s a bit of a problem. Gotta get one before this project can start. Used ones are pretty rare in ATL lately. 8” is generally considered a min. for serious work. I’d go with a router table before I went for a 3/4“ shaper. It’s more versatile and router bits are easier to come by and usually cheaper. Lots of cabinet doors have been made with 2 1/4 hp routers on a table. A 3hp would be even better.

How are you going to make your shelf supports? Anything efficient is $$. How about drawers ? You going to try and make your own? Are you going to need more tools for this ? Again , outsourcing to a drawer manuf. is usually the way to go. Got a hinge boring jig ? Good ones are a couple hundred $. If you have drill press already, then you can make one easily.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 08-23-2020 at 10:59 PM.

I've got the tools to make raised panel doors but I quit making them myself because I can get them cheaper and near perfect from Georgia Hardwoods in Buford. It's a huge operation and you can pick from dozens of styles, types of wood and specify the exact size you need. Last time I bought from them, they were about a week behind. This is an option since you said you were in the Atlanta area.

I build cabinets and doors for a living. I absolutely hate trying to use s2s stock that is already at the thickness specified for use. I like material at 5/4 minimum to give me wiggle room to flatten on my jointer and then plane. Working this way ,I have had very few doors that had to be replaced. I rough rip to width on my bandsaw and then use my shaper with an outboard fence to dimension and put a finish cut on the edge of stile and rail stock (one edge). The other edge is cut when I profile it. (Also a pass through the shaper with the outboard fence.)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert D Evans View Post
    I've got the tools to make raised panel doors but I quit making them myself because I can get them cheaper and near perfect from Georgia Hardwoods in Buford. It's a huge operation and you can pick from dozens of styles, types of wood and specify the exact size you need. Last time I bought from them, they were about a week behind. This is an option since you said you were in the Atlanta area.
    I’ve been wanting to go by their store. I live 100 miles north, so haven’t had the chance yet.