Thread: Cherry Burl

Cherry Burl

Got a cherry burl when a friend was cutting firewood. Let it dry in my workshop and sliced it open and into 1” thick or so pieces. Whole burl was about 18” x 20”. Trying to think of ways to use it to show off the awesome figure. Make a small table top and pour epoxy so these pieces are Islands in the epoxy top? What other ideas do you have to use this unique wood?

IMG_4404.jpg

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.

I use such burls for woodturning. I usually leave them a little thicker, though. But that thickness can make incredible pens and other small things.

A friend resaws burl and uses it for inlays. Another guy I know makes knife scales. Some people resaw into veneer and make boxes and such. Goes a long way like that.

JKJ

I use cherry burl slices for peghead overlays on cherry guitars and banjos and such.

I used a nice burled slab to hold up the wall of my shop for a few decades, then found someone who thought he wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    I used a nice burled slab to hold up the wall of my shop for a few decades, then found someone who thought he wanted it.
    Read it twice Tom, lol wish I'd been the guy who thought he wanted it.

Ha! I have cherry and apple burls going to the burn pile. They are small. I can always find someone to take large burls.

I cut up some large and medium-sized burls and made turning blanks and pen blanks to give away but I'm too short on time to cut up any more.

JKJ

OMG, I just choked on my bagel!