Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tool availability from LN and Veritas

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Otis View Post
    Thanks Rob. I had such a wonderful conversation today with Liz and can only say, on a personal note, that your commitment to 1st) safety of the LN Team and 2nd) never compromising on quality, only strengthens my long-term desire to use your products. Sure... waiting for something that I wanted yesterday is frustrating but that’s not your problem, it’s mine. The pendulum will always be moving in one direction or another. Seems to me that LN is still ahead of the curve by keeping your doors open, employing local workers, and producing a product that has a global demand. The rest is just going to take time.
    Hi Jake,

I’m actually the other guy....but your and my comments apply to both, I’m sure....

Except for Liz....she’s Tom’s!

Cheers,

Rob
    (Lee Valley, Veritas)

Well, the great news is that I just got my first newbie “doh” out of the way. 😉 I love your products as well and the same holds true of my earlier words. Thank you for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    I spoke with the LN folks last week asking about availability of their vices. As Tom stated, they are making runs as they can. There was no schedule for the vices. They are very much, "in business" but due to distancing issues, plant lay-out and safety issues for staff are driving production output. As they wouldn't sell me a vise I ended up buying the Boggs Concave spokeshave. It is a terrific tool. I guess I showed them
    that’s good news about the vices! I had noticed they weren’t on the site any more and was worried they might have been permanently discontinued.

Blog Entries
    Well, the great news is that I just got my first newbie “doh” out of the way. �� I love your products as well and the same holds true of my earlier words. Thank you for everything.
    And howdy Jake and Welcome to the Creek.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Mike, Point taken. Maybe armchair quarterback was too much. Retracted. And thanks for the bicycle article. That was fascinating.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 01-29-2021 at 7:13 AM.

Well, the great news is that I just got my first newbie “doh” out of the way. �� I love your products as well and the same holds true of my earlier words. Thank you for everything.
    Hi Jake -

No worries - been there many times myself. Did not notice it was your first post (see - a "d'oh" moment....) - welcome to the forum!

Cheers -

Rob

No matter what business you are in, if you can be more efficient, you can make more profit.
    It costs money to store "stuff". Stuff can be raw materials, finished product, parts and supplies.

About 30 or so years ago, we started using the just in time method of dealing with stuff. If you are making a product, you schedule with your suppliers and shippers so you get raw material in just in time to use it, and product goes out the door just in time for the shipper. Everybody alone the chain is doing the same thing and being more efficient, therefore more profitable.

This just in time method works great, right up until there is a disruption anywhere in the chain. So now there are new restrictions due to Covid. Supply chains are disrupted, shipping is disrupted, manufacturing processes are disrupted. Think about it, did any manufacturer anywhere, in Dec 2019, have a plan of what to do if suddenly workers need to be 6 feet apart? And that is just one disruption.

I'm honestly surprised that there have not been more shortages in manufacturing.
    The trick to being good with a plane is being bad with a saw.

Supply is definaetly an issue. Anecdotally in my case demand has risen a lot too, I've been seperated more often from the fully equipped woodshop I work at and doing more handwork in my garage, and spending money on hand tools consequentially. Wishing some mortise chisels would come back in stock as I'm currently cutting mortises with bevel edge chisels.