Thread: Convert Quick Grip clamp to spreader?

Convert Quick Grip clamp to spreader?

Hello all,
    I have a few of the original Irwin Quick Grip clamps that do not convert to a spreader. Has anyone successfully removed the fixed end to be able to convert it into one? There's a video on YouTube where the poster cuts off the end to use the clamp as a hold down on a table. It shows that it's molded onto a hole in the bar so it would require drilling out that plug. If anyone has successfully done this I'd appreciate your input. EDIT: I watched the video a couple more times and I have to conclude that the 2 holes on the bar must have the same location so that would help me locate the hole on the fixed end.
    Thanks,
    Gene
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yxP...BadgerWorkshop
    Last edited by Gene Takae; 01-31-2021 at 12:52 AM.

Unless I already had a lot of that style clamp I'd leave what I had alone and buy more of the convertible style.

I have some Irwin Quick Grips that I've had for 15 years or so. Yours must be even older because mine all are convertible. I will have to look but as I recall they have a lock that pulls up allowing them to slide past the retainer pin. I can count on one hand the number of times I have used the feature but when you need it you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Unless I already had a lot of that style clamp I'd leave what I had alone and buy more of the convertible style.

Why destroy a good clamp, just buy the convertible type. they don't cost a fortune.

I have some of the original ones. The end with the handle comes off easily, by simply removing a small roll pin, but the other end is fixed, and swaged on.

I removed the roll pin on a couple, and put a tape marker on them so I could identify them easily, but those were not for spreading, removing the handle just allowed me to run the clamp rod up from the bottom of my workbench dog holes. Then I replace the handle end for clamping work. Be careful not to lose the little spring

If you have 12' or longer clamps, you could remove the roll pin and use two handle grips on the rod, and use it as a spreader easily, without damage to the clamps. The fixed end would just be hanging on for the ride.

I know they made them 3' or so, because I have a couple 3 or 4' ones out in the shop. Rarely used, they are heavy and awkward to use.

Hope this helps.

PS: I have ground off the small raised spots on the bar of several 6 and 12" Bessy 'F' clamps to use on the workbench also. Just mount them through the dog holes from below. These are also tape marked for ID so I don't drop one end on my foot. These are the clamps that HD sells at Christmas time. Handy and cheap.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 01-31-2021 at 8:25 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I've converted one of my older Irwins to a spreader. It works, but is a pain in the butt to reconfigure it to it's original purpose. I just leave it as a spreader.
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 02-01-2021 at 9:50 AM. Reason: sp

It's just a good excuse to buy more clamps.

I'm also in the group that would most likely buy a few of the versions that are designed to work both ways rather than converting older ones.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    It's just a good excuse to buy more clamps.

I think the better term would be REASON, rather than excuse. That's how it is with my CFO.