Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Grizzly Tools

I also don't understand Grizzly buying and expanding South Bend machines. I have several Grizzly and Shop Fox Machines. I am happy with all of them and can't see spending extra on the South Bend name.

Cary, I suspect they are looking for a different kind of customer with the added brand name.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

on the metal working side, it looks like they are really a few steps up from the griz versions. heavier, more features like auto feeds and DROs and such, real control cabinets, etc. the woodworking stuff seems like copies with a few different things, but not a lot more for the price difference.

In the case of the South Bend planers specifically, they have a separate dc variable speed feed motor similar to my wood master sander. I have had to replace the cutterhead helical drive gear twice in my Delta DC-380, the last time with Grizzly parts! It may be optimistic, but I’m betting the new drive motor cures this issue as the drive gear speeds should be much slower. We will find out as I’m going to finally replace my old Delta with the SB1109. I’ll make a thread with the unboxing and first thoughts-unfortunately It’ll be a month or two. Finally the warranty reads 2 years, and I don’t see the PM exception where it is dropped to one year if it is not used in a hobby shop only!
    Cheers
    Sean.