Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Incra TS-LS Issues

Great fence

I have had the 32 inch fence for some time and had no problems with it at all... I am in the process of ordering the LS17 Router table set up... will be set then...

2. Alignment Issues - Here's what fixed mine

Quote Originally Posted by Jasun Brown View Post
    I recently purchased the Incra TS-LS with the 52" rails. Took some time but got in on the saw with no major issues. Question/issue is the slide seems to be very stiff. Do other Incra users have the same issue? When I slide the fence in or out from the blade it's a real chore. I had a Bies clone before the Incra and it slid almost effortlessly..Am I missing something? Other than it being really pretty, I am not overly impressed with the system, and I paid a bunch for it.Do other Incra users have tips/tricks??
    I used my TS-LS for years without issues but over time it became stiffer and stiffer and started making a grinding noise when I would slide it. I searched forums and couldn't really get a handle on how to sort things out, until I saw a couple comments that said to just really carefully follow the instructions. I had built a router table into the side extension table area of my table saw, and I think it was in the taking apart of the TS-LS during this time that things got out of alignment.I found the original instructions and followed them step by step. I aligned the mounting cross piece first so that it would slide effortlessly by itself, which required flipping it over because I couldn't tighten the screws underneath because of the extension table. I moved the fence the whole assembly to about 37 inches from the near rail brackets, with all the screws loose, then put the cardboard shims under the fence and tightened the little outrigger sliding bracket thingies that the fence rides on. Then I slid the fence back to within four inches of the positioner and tightened the screws that hold the fence to the long arm with the rulers on it.My big issue was a grinding noise when sliding it in and out of the positioner. It turns out that there are shims behind the metal spring with the rack gear thing on it that clamps against the threaded rod. Those shims had slid down over time so that when I clamped it, it put pressure against the lower part of the rack gear and over time that pressure slid the metal spring piece forward toward the middle of the positioner. I removed the shims, removed the four screws holding the metal spring in, bored them out a bit so I could slide the metal spring outward toward the clamp, reinstalled everything, and tested. No more grinding of the rod against the rack gear, but when fully extended, the fence was a tad looser, meaning I could move it and rack it a bit even when clamped. The instructions say to always clamp the front outrigger thingie when cutting, and by doing this the fence is rock solid. I think I'll experiment with adding more shims to find a sweet spot with more clamping pressure but without so much that it starts grinding again. Incidentally, the instructions that came with the TS-LS didn't mention shims. Luckily I had a buddy helping me trying to figure out what was causing the grinding, and he was standing on the back side of the extension table and so had a view of the black, UHMW plastic piece with the 1/8" allen insert and the shims behind it. Hope this helps somebody with similar issues. If you dig out your installation instructions and follow them to a T in the order that they are written, binding and other issues should be solved.

I've had one for ten years + with no issues. Mine has the long rails and does not have legs, though they are set somewhat to the left b/c I have a router table set up to the left of the blade. Good system, the only thing I'd change is that I'd go metric if I were to do again. Does take up a bunch of room though since the center arm sticks out the side.

Good luck and enjoy.
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I see the two replies today were in response to an 11 year old thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    I've had one for ten years + with no issues. Mine has the long rails and does not have legs, though they are set somewhat to the left b/c I have a router table set up to the left of the blade. Good system, the only thing I'd change is that I'd go metric if I were to do again. Does take up a bunch of room though since the center arm sticks out the side.

Good luck and enjoy.
    Chris
    FWIW, Incra sells a conversion kit for the TS-LS to change it to metric. I did mine several years ago when I went to metric.

Clint

Yes, did mine about a year ago, pretty straight forward

I have a Incra 25" L.S. positioner and really enjoyed the video on changing over to metric. It helped me see just how it is put together. Always amazes me how it you follow the templates and go step by step it all works together. There are some very smart people who figure this all out. Except for taking up extra room the Incra system can really make some beautiful dovetails and box joints plus al the normal routing jobs..
    Bob