View Poll Results: Check your club membership status

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • The club I belong to is a chapter of the AAW, and I知 also a member of the AAW.

30 53.57%
  • The club I belong to is a chapter of the AAW, but I知 not a member of the AAW.

23 41.07%
  • The club I belong to is a not chapter of the AAW, and I知 also a member of the AAW.

1 1.79%
  • The club I belong to is a not chapter of the AAW, but I知 not a member of the AAW.

2 3.57%
  • I知 a member of a woodturning organization in another country that is similar to the AAW.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodturning Clubs

Woodturning Clubs

I've noticed that when a beginning turner pops in here to ask questions, one of the more common responses includes something like:

"I suggest you contact your local (or nearest) woodturning club. They're usually great folks who.....".

This got me to wondering - How many of you actually belong to a woodturning club and or the AAW?

Thought I’d try this a poll – mostly for fun, and to see how one is set up.
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 02-28-2006 at 7:43 PM.
    Only the Blue Roads

Andy,

I'm not a member. Yet. In late November I visited two local turners who are members. One told me meetings are the second Tuesday of the month, the other said it was the third Tuesday. Every other month they meet at Woodcraft but Woodcraft isn't sure when or what month. Neither person was sure where the next meeting meeting was!

The second gentleman, Gil, did have an answer. He took my name and address and told me he would send me the newsletter. Last week I received a photocopy of the newletter from him and will be attending the next meeting. They are an AAW chapter.

Oh, they also have a web site that is a year or so out of date. Big help.

So, to answer your question - no but soon!

Dave Fried

David - The club in Manchester updated their site today and Beth Ireland is demoing as we speak. She does neat stuff. I shoulda posted this thing yesterday.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    David - The club in Manchester updated their site today and Beth Ireland is demoing as we speak. She does neat stuff. I shoulda posted this thing yesterday.
    Yes, that was in the newsletter and was tonight but I had family obligations. Being a single parent leaves little time without gobs of advance notice. I'm aiming for the April 25 meeting just down the road at Gil's.

Thought I might make it to the shop tonight but it's just under 25 degrees in the shop and the temperature is dropping fast so I punted. Bummer.

Dave Fried

I just joined a club in January and have been to 2 meetings. I don't know if the other members are AAW members but I know the club is not affiliated with AAW. We meet at the 'The Turning Post', a shop owned by Clead Christensen that does architectural and furniture turning and Clead has told me that he was one of the original members of AAW. He started the club for us Northern Utah turners that are too scared to go to the big city (SLC) and too far away to drive to Craft Supplies in Provo for an evening of fun. I've thought about mentioning getting the club signed up with the AAW but that usually ends up meaning that the guy with the idea has to get it going. How much work is involved in an AAW club?

We now require all of our members to join the AAW for insurance purposes. We have quit a few demonstrations and an annual symposium taught by local members. Having the members covered by the AAW's insurance keeps our local club costs down.
    But then, I joined the AAW before I joined our local club. I think it's a good deal with a GREAT magazine.
    I'm one of those who sugguest new folk to check out local clubs and the AAW. I think it's a great help to new spinners.

I have a local club in Charleston that is part of AAW. The only problem is the fact that the Woodcraft store that they "meet" at is 65 miles away from me. Last month the idea was to meet at the store and then go another 20 miles down the road to a members home for the meeting. A bit far. I'll see what the story is for this month.

I have sent in my app and check almost a month ago for a membership but so far no answer. I'll check for a canceled check later this month. So all I can do is wait and see.

Cheers
    Gordon

I met some members of the East Texas Area Turners Assoc. at a freedom pen turn-a-thon about a year ago. I've intended to attend a meeting and join but am rarely off work when they meet on the third saturday of each month.

I'm not sure if they are AAW affiliated.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Been a member of Carolina Mountain Woodturners in Asheville, NC and the AAW for about 5 years now. CMW is the largest AAW affilliate in North America (and undoubtedly the best) . We have a big name demonstrator each month for an all day Saturday demo. Also lots of good turners (somewhere around 400 members) who are more than willing to share all they know.

http://www.carolinamountainwoodturners.org
    The less you know, the less likely you are to be subpoenaed.

Fred

Also a member of CMW

We have a great club in the CMW. People who re-inlisted or joined at first of the year in the AAW will get a free sharpening video in April. This is almost worth the price of membership plus the magazine. This offer may still be available. We have three large screen TVs and several switchable cameras that show our world-class demonstrators. There is not a bad seat in the house of several hundred attendees. We meet on the third Saturday at the Folk Art Center in Asheville, NC. Most clubs have to charge fifty to $75 for demonstrators like ours. We do it for FREE! Cindy Drozda this month. Ben Pho, Ellsworth, Stott, Nick Cook, Dave Hout, etc. in the past.

Bill in WNC mountains

Can't vote. I'm not a member of any turning club. [sigh]

AAW membership is worth it even just for the wonderful quarterly (color) magazine. Local chapters (or similar groups) are wonderful opportunities for mentoring, gloating (!) and general comradarie.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

13. Can't vote either cause I don't belong to a club, but I am a member of AAW.

Jim

I belong the North Coast Woodturners in Cleveland, OH area. We require all member to belong to AAW for insurance. Also one of the longest AAW member clubs and very active with about 90 members each week. Meets the first Saturday of each month at the Rockler store - coming up this Saturday.

Lesson Number One on posting a poll - Think it through and come up with categories that apply to all possibilties. Sorry, Steve!

This has been interesting to see the poll results, and I'm glad to see that the tallies are getting up there.

Me? Yup. My AAW affilated chapter is the Maine Woodturners and we meet each third Wednesday in the student shop at Erskine Academy in China. China Maine, that is. I enjoy the camaraderie of my fellow members, the demos, the coffee and doughnuts, the skill learning opportunities, and so forth. Some of our members drive as much as three hours to get there and never miss a session. I was never much of a club joining kind of guy; visited on a whim and invitation; and haven't missed a meeting since. Good fun.
    Only the Blue Roads