Thread: Where to find wide eastern white pine

Where to find wide eastern white pine

Does anybody have any sources for good quality, clear Eastern White Pine? I’m in central-western NJ, 20 minutes outside of Philadelphia. The hardwood suppliers I normally shop with don’t typically have any. BORG boards are usually trash, although once in a while I’ll find a nice wide quartersawn piece. But of course it’s finished at 3/4” and not as straight and flat as needed to be.

Dan, I was able to source it via Bucks County Hardwoods but they had to special order it for me and that required a minimum quantity for me. (and they had to buy some other material to meet the minimum quantity from that supplier) But it was "premo" material for sure and really did justice for the client project I was working on at the time. I'm still using some leftover for the core of electric guitar bodies as it's completely clear (what I requested) and relatively light in weight. You might also check with Heacock Lumber to see if they have any white pine. If they do, it will not be kiln dried and may require time before you can use it, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Might also check with independent sawmills within driving distance. I've sawn white and "yellow" pine when I got logs - boards from big logs were often clear. There is the drying thing, the possible PPBs, and the pitch issue with air drying.

I pick mine up at Vienna Hardwoods in Fairfax, Virginia (703-255-9663). That may be a drive for you but you can always make a day of it. I placed an order last spring and it took about 3-4 days for them to have it ready for me.

Did you try Monteath in Old Bridge.

https://www.monteath.com/lumber.html

North Eastern WP is great stuff. Works easily, stable ,and has less pitch than most other pines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    North Eastern WP is great stuff. Works easily, stable ,and has less pitch than most other pines.
    I agree. I'm not normally a "pine" person, but that white pine I mentioned above was wonderful to work with.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Dan, I was able to source it via Bucks County Hardwoods but they had to special order it for me and that required a minimum quantity for me. (and they had to buy some other material to meet the minimum quantity from that supplier) But it was "premo" material for sure and really did justice for the client project I was working on at the time. I'm still using some leftover for the core of electric guitar bodies as it's completely clear (what I requested) and relatively light in weight. You might also check with Heacock Lumber to see if they have any white pine. If they do, it will not be kiln dried and may require time before you can use it, however.
    Heacock carries pine? I did not know that unless it's a 'now and then' thing. I'm not sure about white pine but I know some soft woods require heating to around 160* to 'set the sap' so the sap doesn't remain soft and seep through any finish.

I absolutely love older tight grained EWP. A table I made has drawers with QS bottoms, sides and back. I left the interiors unfinished. Nothing beats that smell when the drawer is opened. I also like the traditional aspect of using it. Seasonal movement is almost nothing with QS boards. I think it’s very underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Heacock carries pine? I did not know that unless it's a 'now and then' thing. I'm not sure about white pine but I know some soft woods require heating to around 160* to 'set the sap' so the sap doesn't remain soft and seep through any finish.
    That's the one place I've actually bought pine locally (for honey bee boxes) that wasn't the premo stuff I got from BCH. It was like $.85 a board foot at the time, too!
    --

Try Wall Lumber in Mayodan, NC. I was just looking in their catalog and saw Easter White Pine and Souther Yellow Pine in widths up to 12".