Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 20mm MFT bench dog holes or standard 3/4" hole for portable workbench

Does anyone know what the 96mm dimension is about? Maybe I a fraction of a common European cabinet size or something? Seems so random.

I’m going to make myself an MFT top and the 3/4” vs. 20 mm thing has had me stumped for a while, partly because since I don’t have one now, I’m just not steeped in all the options out there. I’m leaning toward 20 mm since I have the Festool track and I see a ton of cool Euro fixtures for MFTs, but am too old to build things in anything but feet and inches, so the hole spacing makes a lot more sense at 4 inches. (For that matter, 100mm seems like it would make more sense…)

So, 20 mm holes with 4” spacing is the plan, but just checking before I start making sawdust and dulling router bits.

I can’t imagine a reason to consider 96mm, but since I am just entering the MFT world, seems good to see if I’m missing something.

Does anyone know what the 96mm dimension is about? Maybe I a fraction of a common European cabinet size or something? Seems so random.
    Probably a result of it being a multiple of 32mm.
    The Euro-cabinet system or more properly known as the 32mm system & everything is based on that measurement.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 12-04-2021 at 6:27 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

James, I’ve been through the same thought process. I’ve concluded the first critical hump to get over is laying out perfectly square grids.

I’ve heard of using pegboard and I believe it’s Woodhaven that has a router template the employs pegboard. Also Woodpecker and Piranha Tools.

Bit he sized holes would get confusing to me. I would go with 20mm simply b/c the Parf dogs work.

The Festool in-line clamps are a bit pricey. I wonder re inline clamps that will fit 20mm holes?

I found this site that looks pretty good.

I’ve located this 20mm bit and 10mm adapter.
    D4C13C0D-1546-45F1-BA6C-354946F7D9B1.jpg
    78076B08-170D-4623-A59D-543EFBB66949.jpg

I’m about a third of the way drilling 20mm holes for my 37x72” MFT top using the Parf Guide System Mark II, which I sourced from Lee Valley. The assortment of 20 mm dogs are UJK and some from TSO products. Prior to watching the videos on the PGS I was all in for 3/4” dogs. I was tickled at how the top laid out and will use the Parf sticks laying out the dog holes on my workbench as well. I don’t care abut the spacing as long as they are in line and square to each other, which they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    James, I’ve been through the same thought process. I’ve concluded the first critical hump to get over is laying out perfectly square grids.
    The Festool in-line clamps are a bit pricey. I wonder re inline clamps that will fit 20mm holes?

I found this site that looks pretty good.

I’ve located this 20mm bit and 10mm adapter.
    D4C13C0D-1546-45F1-BA6C-354946F7D9B1.jpg
    78076B08-170D-4623-A59D-543EFBB66949.jpg
    While Amana makes good stuff, I'd steer clear of these.

First, that arrangement has too many moving piece and the adapter isn't all that good a design to begin with. Second, by the cost isn't much less than the festool 20mm bit which is very good. Having an 8mm shank might be an issue for you, but pretty much all router manuf. have an 8mm collet if you don't already have one.