Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Making wide, square/perpendicular crosscuts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cuthbertson View Post
    TSO Guide Rail Squares are dead on accurate in my experience, has been a big time saver for me.
    This is what I'm trying currently to solve this problem. Seems to be working pretty well, and it solves 2 problems, making a wide/square cross cut AND if you add the rails that go on it, making a repeated wide cross cut. It's slow compared to the table saw, no question about that, but the results seem to be between very good and perfect (or as perfect as I can measure/see). I built a 4x8 table with foam insulation on top and have set that up as my tracksawing station. Heck of an improvement vs cutting on the floor!

The big "miss" that I have right now is making a repeated dado across those wide pieces; I do have a way to do it, but I really don't like running something 24in wide and 48in long through the table saw or router table with the short end on the fence. I bought a router jig that should help with this from Woodhaven; similar to the TSO system but for a router, allowing a guided, square and repeatable setup to cut a dado. System looks really nice, just haven't had a need to use it yet.

A good radial arm saw would be my choice. Cheaper then a decent track saw and rail set up. I think my GE will do 24" crosscuts at 90.
    Bill D

I prefer to use a panel saw
    2cd choice is a large homemade square that is used to check and calibrate the panel saw as needed
    3 pieces of straight wood, 1 x 3 or what ever, screwed together to make a 4 or 5' tall square, have both.
    made them to calibrate the panel saws. 60" Safety Speed Cut has never needed adjusted. 48" Milwaukee has needed adjusted
    light weight, inexpensive, easy to make and calibrate as needed