Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New planer/jointer combo arrived

New planer/jointer combo arrived

I just upgraded my 8" jointer and 15" planer to a Felder AD941 16" planer/jointer combo. This thing is a beast. I'm fortunate to have a nice neighbor with a forklift. I ran some Hickory through it the other day and there was no snipe. And I mean zero snipe. I busted out the Starrett straight edge and the board was flat to within 0.004" (that is the thinnest feeler gauge I have). If anyone is in central Texas and are looking for a used jointer or planer, you can find my post in the classifieds.

IMG_0689.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hunt View Post
    I just upgraded my 8" jointer and 15" planer to a Felder AD941 16" planer/jointer combo. This thing is a beast. I'm fortunate to have a nice neighbor with a forklift. I ran some Hickory through it the other day and there was no snipe. And I mean zero snipe. I busted out the Starrett straight edge and the board was flat to within 0.004" (that is the thinnest feeler gauge I have). If anyone is in central Texas and are looking for a used jointer or planer, you can find my post in the classifieds.

IMG_0689.jpg
    that looks great, I’m glad you didn’t have to deal with the headache of shipping damage like we have heard other share… I have a similar machine in my future, congratulations on your cool toy!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hunt View Post
    I just upgraded my 8" jointer and 15" planer to a Felder AD941 16" planer/jointer combo. This thing is a beast. I'm fortunate to have a nice neighbor with a forklift. I ran some Hickory through it the other day and there was no snipe. And I mean zero snipe. I busted out the Starrett straight edge and the board was flat to within 0.004"
    Beautiful, I love mine perfect results every time. The 0.004, from the planer I assume? What was the width of the piece ran?

Very nice good luck with it! I have a hammer a341 and love it... the 941 seems like basically the same machine on steroids so I'm sure it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Wyberanec View Post
    Very nice good luck with it! I have a hammer a341 and love it... the 941 seems like basically the same machine on steroids so I'm sure it's great.
    The a341 not even remotely close to the ad941

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    How so mark? I know there are more cutters on the head and I think it has the power table and the folding guard and I imagine beefier steel....

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Wyberanec View Post
    How so mark? I know there are more cutters on the head and I think it has the power table and the folding guard and I imagine beefier steel....
    The 941 is much larger and is 4 post planer rather than the Center post design in the Hammer and Felder 741 planers.

In general however all Felder and Hammer machines have zero snipe when properly calibrated and you can’t tell the difference between workpieces produced on the machines within size restraints.
    Regards, Rod

Congratulations on your new J/P, Bryan! That's a really fine machine and I'm glad it's already meeting or exceeding expectations. Good tools are a pleasure...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    Just want to clarify I am not saying the a341 isn’t a capable machine just that it is a different class, I know there are plenty of folks that are happy with it.

Bryan, I'm in Leander too. When do I get to come over and check out those toys? :-) I'm purchasing a slider but haven't decided on which one yet.
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    The 941 is much larger and is 4 post planer rather than the Center post design in the Hammer and Felder 741 planers.

In general however all Felder and Hammer machines have zero snipe when properly calibrated and you can’t tell the difference between workpieces produced on the machines within size restraints.
    Regards, Rod
    Didn't know about the post difference good to know and I could see it being a factor especially if doing a lot of heavy lumber...I haven't seen the results off the 741 but I'm pretty sure it has more cutters which in turn I would think might leave a slightly cleaner surface... the surface off my a341 is very good but you can still see machine marks if you look closely...I have seen some planers though usually not indexable heads that can leave a perfect finish that look like they came off a hand smoother.... that said tear out has definitely been reduced from my old straight knives and I would think even better for the 741....

How much of a price increase is there from the hammer?

Bryan, your shops is amazing! I've been doing double-duty since we're short-handed in the Dallas office but need to grab a beer with you once things settle down.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

+1 on the tidy clean shop.
    Looks cleaner then some of the hospitals I work at.
    Good Luck with new machine
    Aj

Nice toy you have there. It must be the big brother to my A3-41.
    Your shop looks cleaner than some hospital rooms. Looks like a fun place to play.

Christopher, You are welcome to stop by and see my shop. I also have a slider you can check out.