Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is Accoya?

I’ve worked a bit of it for historic work, specifically sash. The Accoya I get is radiata pine, I’d love to see it in poplar.
    This week I get to do a glue up with some, which is a first, I plan to use gorilla glue.
    One word of caution: if you have any propensity towards board walk fries or fish and chips make sure you’re well fed before working it….it’ll make your shop smell like a vinegar factory!

It’s a interesting material with a lot of possibilities. I’ve made a couple doors with it, as mentioned it’s pine and most of the stock we see in the US has dark stains sometimes that makes it not suitable for stain grade. Rex Lumber has it in all the thickness including 10/4 and 12/4 which is nice for door and window work. I'm just starting a large door and window historical job for an old customer and considered using it. (So much for semiretirement)!. It’s expensive and comparing Genuine South American Mahogany it was a little more and Sipo Mahogany was a little more than half the cost of Accoya. Given the gluing and corrosion issues the Sipo was a easy choice.

For window work with painted exteriors I think a good way to use it is a 3 layer lamination with Accoya outside. This eliminates corrosion issues since no hardware attaches here and a good base to paint on.

E6897662-FA15-4A4F-9DC9-E1D22DE8FF23.jpg
    Last edited by Joe Calhoon; 02-28-2022 at 11:18 AM.