Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Harvey HW110LC-36P vs SawStop Contractor 36" T-Glide - Which one ?

And the last project I completed in this space. Not fine furniture but not horrible given the tools at my disposal and space available.

bed2.jpg

bed3.jpg

bed4.jpg

Anyway, as you can see, I have only the small little corner next to the weight rack (clothes drying rack LOL) to store some tools. Also a golf cart parks in the big open area most of the time so that is not an option. I'm fighting the urge to purchase tools like I sold 2 years ago which I really don't have space for even though I still have the 220v circuits in place. The more I look at the space and the pictures and the SawStop page, I'm forcing myself back to the contractor saw and the jobsite pro saw. For smaller projects here and there, probably either would work. If I'm reading the information correctly, they share the same cartridges and the only difference in parts would be the throat plates. I'm wondering if I should just order a jobsite pro and use it for now knowing that blades and cartridges could move to a larger unit down the road when I have a dedicated space. Might be the best option given my lack of space.

Greg ,sorry you had to sell your old stuff. Hope that whatever choice you make it will get you back into business making stuff again.

Thanks Mike. Had to is a relative term. When CoVid hit, it was my choice to do it so that the family could use the space instead of just me. No one knew what to expect then, so we prepared to be stuck indoors for extended times. However, now that the space has been converted there is no way I can completely take it back. Best I can do is stash some tools in the corner and use it from time to time when no one else is. Then clean it up and re-stash the tools in the corner.

I have a one day plan for a separate shop on another property but this is something that would be 10 to 15 years down the road most likely. So, for now I'm struggling with the most cost effective and space effective way to build some stuff but not take up too much space. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Greg ,sorry you had to sell your old stuff. Hope that whatever choice you make it will get you back into business making stuff again.

You have your mind already made up for the SS. If you go that route, don’t bother with the contractor, go PCS.

That said, I own the exact Harvey you mentioned above. It’s a beast. I’d bet with the cast right wing (which I have), and fence, it's closer to 500 lbs.

Blog Entries
    Maybe it's been mentioned, but the PCS has a smaller footprint than the contractor saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sonego View Post
    You have your mind already made up for the SS. If you go that route, don’t bother with the contractor, go PCS.

That said, I own the exact Harvey you mentioned above. It’s a beast. I’d bet with the cast right wing (which I have), and fence, it's closer to 500 lbs.

I unfortunately don't have my mind made up about any of it. LOL

Have any pictures of your saw? Everything on their site appears to be a rendering. You went with the 2hp version? Any shipping issues? By chance are the blade pins removable? Is the thin riving knife needed for thin kerf blades given the less than 3hp motor? Thanks.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 03-04-2022 at 2:26 PM.

I can’t seem to post pics, but that’s another post. Yes, you have to remove the blade pins with the supplied Allen wrench. Shipping is one of the strong points. My saw was the best packaged piece of equipment I’ve ever received. The riving knife I received works on my thin kerf rip blade and my WWII blade. I did a short review and posted here. Find that post, it should answer any remaining questions. All in all, it’s a well put together piece of equipment.

I like that bed, think I will build it for my granddaughter after I get her dresser and bureau built.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    I like that bed, think I will build it for my granddaughter after I get her dresser and bureau built.
    Thanks. Here are the plans I followed. Includes parts list and cut list. Easy Peesy. It’s spec’s for construction grade lumber but I stepped up to select grade for the 1x6 and 1x4 pieces for little better selection. https://www.ana-white.com/woodworkin...dard-king-size

I know it wouldn’t appeal to many but if you want a similar look, I stained it with a water based barnwood brown stain first and then made multiple passes with white wash and antique brown glazes. Then sprayed a single coat of matte satin polycrylic. All water based products.

3494790D-372B-4C27-9914-A9D69C4E9AC3.jpg

45903276-AC37-41CF-9F2E-F948949CF4D8.jpg
    0589640D-2E4C-409F-A1D2-9EFCC1171E3D.jpg

On a more important note, i did not order the Harvey. Read that the sale price comes and goes every few days and that took the pressure off. Still working through my decision and hope to pin down my direction in the next week.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 03-05-2022 at 3:14 PM.

Thanks for the link to the plans
    Ron

I'd go harvey. I've had dewalt, laguna, sawstop, and am now setting up a slider. There was nothing special about the sawstop other than the brake tech. Harvey has a larger table and better fence. I expect I'd get a harvey if I ever get another cabinet saw.

Hi Greg, if you’re willing to buy a cabinet style saw, then the SawStop is the only one worth considering.

The only thing cabinet saws do well is rip.

I went with a short stroke slider with scoring about 12 years ago from a General cabinet saw.

Scoring, straight line ripping, 104mm depth of cut, plus the ability to cross cut a sheet of plywood and the ability to clamp work to the table, I would never go back……Regards, Rod.

Thanks Rod. I don’t really have the budget for another slider saw and really don’t have the space for anything too large.

I’m honestly back thinking about purchasing a temporary saw to use for a few years knowing I may replace it down the road. Something in the sub-$2k range that is movable and doesn’t take up too much space. So far, that leaves the Dewalt DW7491RS job site saw, the Sawstop Jobsite Pro and a few others. I’m back looking at the Jet ProShop II also. I can get the 230v version with 30” fence and cast wings for about the same price as the SS Jobsite pro. With a mobile base, I’m thinking that would be a good starting platform to get me by for a while. Should hold decent value given the Jet name. And, from what I can deduce from lots of internet searching and reading, it shares the guts of the Laguna F2 saw, shares the throat plates of the Laguna F1, F2 & F3, and shares the Riving Knives from the Laguna’s. Looks like Grizzly also has a portable Jobsite saw using the same throat plate and riving knives. It is also an aluminum cabinet mounted trunion like the Laguna Fusions. But, where the Jet is different is in the fence. It has steel rails and looks somewhat like an Xacta fence.

The only thing lacking is overblade dust collection, but honestly if I could get my hands on a Laguna F2 blade guard, i could add it that way, or I could adapt my own with a shark guard probably. Net cost would still be a lot less than the SS contractor with cast wings, and the dust collection looks like it would be better since the motor is internal. From what I can tell, it would be similar weight to the SS Contractor and a high percentage of people that had the original Jet Proshop liked them.

My recent tool budget went to a new Polaris Ranger, 10x20 storage shed on concrete slab and a sawmill that’s on order. Just waiting the sawmill shipment notification any day. So, needless to say, I’m still on the sidelines regarding a table saw while I work through the best route.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Greg, if you’re willing to buy a cabinet style saw, then the SawStop is the only one worth considering.

The only thing cabinet saws do well is rip.

I went with a short stroke slider with scoring about 12 years ago from a General cabinet saw.

Scoring, straight line ripping, 104mm depth of cut, plus the ability to cross cut a sheet of plywood and the ability to clamp work to the table, I would never go back……Regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 03-06-2022 at 8:02 PM.

Makes sense, maybe a temporary saw is the best solution……Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Makes sense, maybe a temporary saw is the best solution……Rod
    Agree. And if you're going to sell it down the road and don't care about the SS functionality, the Dewalt is hard to beat. That's an incredibly popular saw, put it on Craigslist for 75% of new price and it'll be gone before I finish this e-mail. When you get into a more expensive saw (like the SS) or a cabinet/hybrid saw, that's gong to be harder to sell and/or you'll lose more money on the deal.

Honestly, if it's a "temporary saw", you might look on CL and see what you can find. You can probably buy something today and sell it a few years from now and make money, especially if it's a contractor style rolling saw.