Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A tip for those of you who maybe

A tip for those of you who maybe

Experiencing carpal tunnel. I was diagnosed with severe in one hand, and more severe in the other. I switched to my wood hammer, rather than my Eastwing, and noticed a big difference in tingling in my hand, while waiting for the Doc to do his thing.
    Funny thing is...... I noticed this nice looking 20 oz. hammer in a high dollar mom and pop, and had a good feel. Had a hefty price tag as I remember but had a real different look to it, with the small axe handle, and even had a signature. Couldn’t tell you what it was cause I didn’t have my glasses at the time, but what the heck......I didn’t have a "real nice" lookin hammer and took the plunge. Got back to the job, and took it out and geeze, this hammer was great. Had a diamond faceted striker which made a world of difference with ricochet off the nails in, trying to fly with framing. Felt so got that I went and got the 16 oz. For the shop and finish work. Put on my glasses after a day or so and noticed the signature....... "Tim Allen" ha! If that don’t beet all. Had I read this before buying, I probably would have laughed like hell in the store and never bought it.

2. Huh.... and I always thought you got that from too much web surfing

I wondered why Axes have that bit on the bottom, maybe so your hand does fly off the handle..?

When I was a kid, I helped my grandfather build his retirement home. I was maybe 12..? Well, my dad, a couple uncles, some cousins and my big brother spent a few weeks up there framing the house an putting the roof one etc. I got my own hammer, a wooden handled one. Every one kept on telling me not to choke up on the handle, but to use the whole thing. Finally one day at lunch, my grandad asked to see my hammer, I handed it to him, and he sliced off the last 6" of the handle with a skillsaw

He said "Well you never use that bit..."

In a day, he gave me the money to go buy a new handle at the local hardware store, I bought the longest one I could find, and to this day, I think of that lesson, and make sure I don't choke up on the handle.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan; 03-14-2006 at 6:50 AM.

When you mentioned a signiture, my first guess was Tim Allen.

I've got 4 Estwings, haven't gone the axe handle route, really no need to switch for me. I have been tempted to try it, but my hammers aren't worn out yet. I use all smooth face, which was safer to have since the wife uses a couple of them too.

Glad it works for you.

Stu,
    Love the story. I did a lot of work with crappy hammers, and not knowing any better. The only safe way to use them seemed to be to choke up on them. I bet your grandfather really didn't know what kind of favor he did for you by cutting off that handle. The hammer was probably a $4 bargin bin (that's $20 canadian right? ) hammer which was probably doing you more harm than good. Kinda like giving a kid a bike with square wheels and then laughing at him when he falls over.

5. Nope the hammer was a good one, in fact it was my Dad's and he was not please that my GD cut the handle off like that, I think the look on my Dad's face was almost as good as the one on my face

He did pay to get a new handle, and he showed me how to shape the handle to fit into the hammer head, as well as making a hardwood wedge and setting the head. My Dad stil has that hammer!

This is the same GD that took me for a little ride in the row boat on the lake at age 5, he said to me "Stuart, can you swim...?" I said "No..." so he tossed me in the lake Yep, I learned how to swim

Getting back on track, (sorry CJ)....

CJ, is it the wood of the handle, or the Axe like shape, or a combo, or does it just work?

Cheers!

Stu, good thing GD wasn't the one who was in charge of potty training you LOL

heard that before

I've heard the cut off handle before. My dad solved the problem with threats and advise. Old and some younger carpenters wrapped the last inch of the handle with friction tape. I finally did that with everything but the eswings. Those 22 oz are not old folks friends either. Harry

CJ, you need to get the doc to do the deed on that carpel tunnel problem. I had mine done nearly 10 years ago and when I went in for surgery I couldn't even pick up a #6 x 1/2" screw to put together drawer glides. I came out of surgery with all the feeling back in my fingers and have had very little problem with the carpel tunnel syndrome since. It may be helped by a new hammer but it will flare up again just the same as you use it.

My arms used to ache something awful at night causing a loss of sleep. I was doing a lot of farm work at the time building a corral, a barn, and doing a lot of ther fencing, driving big nails through some sawmill run oak. Like you I was overworking my arms anyway.

The recovery time is not that long, you should have seen about it over the winter while you were not able to work that much anyway.

Bony
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

I agree with Jim...consider getting the problem fixed when you can. Of course, it's understandable that this might be "bad timing" for you in that respect--given your little home building project. Accordingly, pneumatic nailers can be your friend to help cut down on the number of impacts your hands and wrists are experiencing. I have a lot of problem with using hammers myself and feel that the framing gun I bought for my kitchen renovation a few years ago was a good investment. And, as you point out...a good hammer that you find comfortable makes a difference when you must drive the little suckers manually...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yep....... lost to much sleep as well

and finally got an appointment at the VA to have the deed done, until then they gave me 2 cotizone shots in the wrists and its helped it considerably.

Let Me Know How It Goes

Please let me know how this goes. I think I'm headed down the same road - wrists haven't cut it at all for the last couple-three years and when the Advil runs out, it's a long night. I found some cream that helps for a while, but figure that will go away in time.

David
    David

What Jim said. Pneumatic nailers are the pinnacle of modern technology IMHO. (I may be biased: I have a depth-perception issue that makes driving nails by hand a bit of an adventure, although quite entertaining for bystanders. )

I also recall a bit on This Old House where Tom Silva noted that he doesn't do his own framing anymore but subs it out instead, partly due to economics but mostly due to age: "That's a young man's trade, just too much wear and tear."
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

John,

The "Tim Allen" hammer was originally called a "California Framer". The head of the hammer was originally a rigging axe, used by boat carpenters, and someone got the wild idea to replace the axe end with a claw. The balance of the head in and of itself is truly the beauty of the hammer. And, the long, 18" handle, while looking oversized, is actually part of the design. You'll notice that is has a slight curve at the end, which is similar to a short handled axe, but is usually where your fingers feel the most comfortable grabbing the handle. It's also where you get the most comfortable swing, and the most force, with the least amount of stress to your wrist. The wood handle has ALWAYS been the best one to use, since it absorbs the shock infinitely better than any other handle out there. Even the fiberglass handles. Also, the handles are created specifically for the head, and are not interchangeable with any other kind of hammer. Last I checked, the handles are about $18 or so. I still use one when I need it for my larger jobs.

Now, before anyone has a cow, these are purely my observations, and research, since I used to frame houses for a living for many years, before I scaled down my business. I noticed that whenever I used an "Estwing", not only my wrist, but my whole side, from the shoulder down to my hip usually ached for hours, until I loosened it up with a hot shower. The Fiberglass handles would hurt my wrist, because the handles were straight, and occasionally covered with foam, which changed my grip. I used those framers exclusively, and bought one for each of my employees, after they showed me they were competent enough to wield a true professional's hammer. Yes, we did have nail guns, but I liked to have my guys learn how to use the hammer the right way first, so that they could actually call themselves carpenters, and know the tools of the trade. Besides, it's a lot more fun to race each other building walls with hammers and nails, where you had to really be accurate on the correct nail, not the one attached to the finger!

The Vaughn & Bushnell Mfg. Co., makers of that hammer, had, at one time, put out many different kinds of heads, at different weights, with different length handles. I don't know if they still do or not, but I still have all the original ones that I bought 20 years ago. Not the original handles on the framers, but on the others.

Here is a link to the Vaughn Company. http://www.vaughanmfg.com/claw_frameset.html

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Horton; 03-14-2006 at 11:39 AM.
    It ain't quite rocket science, but sometimes it sure feels like it!

absolutely correct!!!!!!!!!

anyone worth his salt starts out with a hammer. I also have many nailing guns, but there comes a time that I can nail it off faster than unloading and setting up a nail gun.

SWMBO's assistance!

Yo C. John, just don't let them do both at the same time, or SWMBO will have to give you a lot of unpleasant assistance . But like everyone say's it will be a lot better after you heal. Had both of mine done too (but not at the same time).
    Ron