Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lie-Nielsen #2

Lie-Nielsen #2

I’ve decided to let go of my LN #2 and send it off to a new home. It’s the older style plane with the heavy finish on the tote and knob, and also the older style chip breaker. It has seen little use and is in very good condition. There are a couple of pin sized spots in the bronze on one side of the body which I tried to remove. The bronze shines a little more in that area than the rest of the plane, but I’m sure with time it will come back to the bronze patina that most people desire. No other apologies that I am aware of. Box is included. Any questions please ask. $750 which includes shipping and insurance to your door.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB284B2E-1FFF-487C-B5E8-0833BAE5A098.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	488530Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F0364035-B009-4CF7-B910-A20F3C6CA270.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	488531Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8466CF1B-75D5-4AC4-8519-798DE1D96319.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	220.2 KB 
ID:	488532Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D07BC865-5D9F-40F5-9804-C2CFF9C6391B.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	488533Click image for larger version. 

Name:	554C1F83-7C28-41AE-A5C6-BA0C25458F91.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	488534
    Last edited by Michael L. Martin; 10-24-2022 at 11:01 AM.

One last price reduction to $700. Includes shipping to conus US.

The last one of these sold recently on eBay for $746, plus shipping and sales tax. That would seem to make this one very reasonable.

Left click my name for homepage link.

So…..the one presently on eBay (iron model and not as clean) is at $810 with 23 bids and 2 days to go. I don’t have a dog in this race, but if you ever wanted one of this I can’t believe you will ever get one cheaper than this. I am not a collector, but I am tempted!!

And, the eBay one doesn’t have the box!!
    Last edited by John Keeton; 11-03-2022 at 1:48 PM.

Very tempting. Thinking hard about this one.

cant see why a box matters in these tools

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    cant see why a box matters in these tools
    For collectors, the box is a big part of the bragging rights. Some folks like to set up a display in their 'man caves'.

If you watch ebay you will often see empty boxes for various items going for insane prices.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Wow..... I need to get my butt over to ebay!

Just kidding. Something about them taking 15% plus this plus that ...... no thanks. And I do truly want this to go to a SMC member.

If you guys stay with me until the weekend I will probably make a couple changes to this deal. I can't do it now 'cause the daughter is getting hitched tomorrow. So my position for the next couple of days is/will be riding herd on my wife's sanity. You know how they get.

The main thing for me is I don't collect, so if I buy it I'm going to use it. Seems too nice to go to me.

10. I have the same plane and use it almost daily and have for about 20 years. After using a Stanley Bailey #2 prior to that, I can say, the Lie Nielsen is quite a step up. I wouldn't dare put mine on a shelf for display. Can't go wrong with this one!

I bought one new years ago with the bronze body and have only used it sparingly. I still have the original box. I had no idea they are now worth so much. It is a joy tp use.

And, one came up on Jim Bode and sold instantly - $895!! Please, someone buy this plane and save me from myself!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A6690633-A7B7-4617-B513-33D650583FEC.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	489362  

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sack View Post
    I bought one new years ago with the bronze body and have only used it sparingly. I still have the original box. I had no idea they are now worth so much. It is a joy tp use.
    I'm happy with my Stanley #2 when working on smaller projects. Looks like the price of those are going up since the LNs have been discontinued. Back when shopping for a #2 an LN was almost purchased because the prices were almost the same.

Looks like many now prefer the LN over the Stanley. An unused LN makes a better show piece.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    And, one came up on Jim Bode and sold instantly - $895!! Please, someone buy this plane and save me from myself!
    You think this was expensive? Take a look at what several Lie-Nielsen No. 1's are listed for on EBay. I bought a No.1 and No. 2 years ago and have only used them sparingly on special projects. Evidently, if I ever need a down payment for a car, I can just list them.

[QUOTE=Rob Sack;3222328]You think this was expensive? Take a look at what several Lie-Nielsen No. 1's are listed for on EBay. I bought a No.1 and No. 2 years ago and have only used them sparingly on special projects. Evidently, if I ever need a down payment for a car, I can just list them.[/QUOTE

yep, you gotta sell a LOTTA bird houses to afford those expensive planes ! But that’s the only way you gonna make the birds stop living in
    those “grass bowls”. Engage your volunteer group to get the birds out of twig squalor, and into metal-mesh, cat-proof homes with all season
    climate control.