Thread: Anyone use Send Anywhere to move data/files between phones?

Anyone use Send Anywhere to move data/files between phones?

Changed over to the iPhone this weekend. IPhone provides a utility to move data/files from Android to IOS but it is only available during the initial setup on the phone. I went thru the setup while working thru the activation with the service provider, and didn't know that the "Move to IOS" program is a one time offer. I skipped it because I was on the phone with the service provider and couldn't take the time at that point. Guessing that I'm not the first person to be frustrated by that arbitrary restriction, I tried googling around to find a solution. I came across an app called Send Anywhere in the Apple App Store that might solve my issue. It has a high rating.

Can anyone provide an endorsement on this app?

Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I can't legitimately help with the software question, but you can probably take the phones to your new/current service provider's physical store and have them complete the process.

Brian if you simply need to move and temporarily store files several Email providers offer that. A couple I'm aware of are gmx.com and mailfence.com. GMX permits up to 2 GB storage free. I have an email address there and the email has been very reliable with Thunderbird. It looks like mailfence.com is more security oriented and has paid options. I don't see a storage limit for their free option. I suspect it isn't much. Both services are European, GMX is German though they have a U.S. subsidiary, IONOS (formerly 1&1 internet) which offer business oriented services. I think Mailfence is Belgian if that matters.

Can you upload the files to iCloud from your Android phone? You can then sync them with your iphone almost automatically. You'll probably want the 99 cent a month iCloud storage plan anyway to back up your phone contents, photos, etc, and sync them with other Apple devices like Macs or ipads.

You want some sort of cloud based storage. I personally use Google Drive, but DropBox and others are fine as well. I'd give you more advise, but I avoid Apple products. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable can provide you a better suggestion.

I should have been a bit more specific about what I really want to do. Both my wife and I have photos and text messages that we would like to move from the old Android phones to the new iPhones. The text messages are what I really would like transfer to preserve ongoing conversations. Should have thought that thru better prior to the switch, but it just never registered. Send Anywhere mentioned transferring messages in the description.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 11-14-2022 at 3:19 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Can you upload the files to iCloud from your Android phone?
    Did not consider that. Just getting my feet wet in the Appleverse. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Watt View Post
    I can't legitimately help with the software question, but you can probably take the phones to your new/current service provider's physical store and have them complete the process.
    I went with Consumer Cellular which only have a presence in Target stores. I talked to a Target associate when I first started shopping CC, and, well, I highly doubt they could handle anything like that. However, your comment did make me wonder if the local Apple store might be able to help. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Brian

What the Apple Store genius person would likely suggest is to re-setup the iPhone from scratch so you can use the normal transfer utility. That's a guess on my part, but...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Can you upload the files to iCloud from your Android phone? You can then sync them with your iphone almost automatically. You'll probably want the 99 cent a month iCloud storage plan anyway to back up your phone contents, photos, etc, and sync them with other Apple devices like Macs or ipads.
    That's what I used gmx's cloud service for. I had some files I wanted to move from a desktop PC to iPad. I'm not an Apple guy but there are a couple applications I need that are available for iPad only. It's not real simple to move files from outside the AppleVerse to inside it. It was simple to upload the files from the PC to gmx, sign out, log in to gmx on the iPad and download them. Apple iPhone/iPads will come with USB C connectors starting in I think 2024 due to EU dictates. The EU says portable devices must use USB C for charging, I'm not sure about data transfer. I wouldn't put it past Apple to require a $25+ cable to transfer data between Apple and non Apple devices even though both have USB C connections.