Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am looking for suggestions for a resaw bandsaw

Thanks to all for the Welcome aboard. This is amazing. For some reason I had not been able to find my post and so thought I had done something wrong. Found it this evening and was amazed to see that some 15 of you had taken your time to offer advise. I really appreciate it, and sorry I did not get back to you sooner.

Jim Becker's question is good. I suppose I would be bandsawing material no more than perhaps 12" thick. As far as budget I was looking somewhere around $1000. I am just a hobbiest with no specific projects in mind. I do know I want something bigger, and more powerful, than my little Sears.

I hear alot of mention of the Delta 14" BS, but around here the retail somewhere around $1000 with the riser block. I had considered the Grizzly G0513 that Bill Arnold had mentioned. Then I read several reviews on the Rikon 10-340, now with a beefed up version that is the 10-345. The Rikon only runs another $150 or so and is the BS I am currently leaning toward.

I would like this band saw to be able to handle a 1/4" blade for scroll work and wonder if anyone has any experience in using the 10-340 or 10-345 Rikons for work other than resawing. I will also use it for resawing as we have a lot of native oak on our property and I thought that would be a fun challenge to make some small lumber for small projects out of our own wood.

The MiniMax and Laguna are out just out of my price range. I have a number of Grizzly power tools and have been pleased with them.

Again thanks to all you fellows for your advise, and I look forward to any more you might be willing to offer. I am still learning how to navigate, or operate the Sawmill website and I appologize for not getting back to everyone sooner. I live in the mountains near Yosemite Park in California and so do not have ready access to stores, or even other hobbiests. This site is a great source of info - amazing!

Jim,

You're wise to stay in your price range and not get caught up in the "name game" of tools. Get what you can afford and no more.

In a similar vein, I recently attended a seminar led by a world-renown furniture designer and builder. He uses a bandsaw for nearly all cutting tasks. His recommendation for a bandsaw? Forget the big name, expensive tools -- they do absolutely nothing for the person who knows how to setup a bandsaw properly. Although he could buy anything without looking at the right side of the menu, his latest bandsaw purchase was a Ridgid 14" from HD for $349.

'Nuf sed.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Bill,
    Please do not take offense to this but, "name game of tools"? Some of these tools, and in this case the big heavy duty European bandsaws from Italy, are not about names in the least. They are about performance and production. These saws have been around for years...It is just relatively recently that we the American public or small & big shop owners have become introduced to them in the more "mainstream" arena. They are all very good saws which each manufacturer having some differences between them. Saying that they are nothing but "names" is kind of ....well... wrong. Use one and you will know and appreciate the difference. I do agree though in that buy what you can afford but, more importantly buy for the performance you need.

4. Look at the laguna the mini max and take a really long hard look at the Hataichi.

5. I think Cliff mean Hitachi.

I have an old B601, the forerunner to the Hitachi CF75B, this is one of the best re-saws on the market, but you pay for it, also that is about all it does.

I call mine Big Blue, and it has a 2 1/2" resaw, carbide tipped super thin blade on it, I can cut veneer less than 1mm thick 12" tall.

But, this is not what most need (I did not really "Need" it either, but used for $400,...... )

The others have all mentioned a lot of good saws, pick the best one for the money you can afford, and buy "The Bandsaw Book" to make sure you have your saw set up right.

I envy your choices, I have much more limited choices here in Japan.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B. Cresti
    Bill,
    Please do not take offense to this but, "name game of tools"? Some of these tools, and in this case the big heavy duty European bandsaws from Italy, are not about names in the least. ...
    Paul,

I didn't mean to indicate the machines you mentioned are not of superior quality. There are many features that make them what they are. I'm a price/value guy and, even if I hit the Lottery this weekend, I'll spend the money wisely and get what I need.

The main point I was trying to make is that when a famous furniture designer and builder who has employees and does production work as well as some of the finest studio pieces around expresses his opinion about bandsaws, people should listen.

Regards,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

To me it was a money thing. If money wasn't a limiting factor, I would have a Laguna. But alas it is a factor.

I too, Like Mike Cutler, have 2 bandsaws. One is a 12” DURO from the 50’s (my dad’s). I keep a Timber Wolf 3/16” skip tooth on it for curvy cuts. I bought the RIKON 18” to add capacity and ability to resaw. I have a ¾” Woodslicer on it and I like the way it cuts and the smoothness of the cut. I have sliced 1/8” off of 10” stock with no issues at all. I have made a few mods and tweaks. Like Mike did on his (search RIKON here), I added a steel plate for the tracking rod. I set the drift angle to the fence. I squared the table to the blade and the fence to the table and made an aux resaw fence that’s 10” high. I also reset the tension indicator decal to a more accurate position. (It was reading a higher tension than actual). I would buy the Rikon again and I have not had to upgrade guides or fence or springs. (If I win the Publishers Clearing house or win the DIY $100,000 Dream workshop, I might change my mind). I do not have any experience with the Grizzly, but I did consider the PM 14” with rizer.

The Knoxville Woodcraft has a 14” Jet and an 18” Rikon that you can see in operation. Maybe a Woodcraft near you has a similar setup to try for yourself. I think tools and cars to men are like clothes and jewelry to women and it’s a personal thing that you can learn to adapt what you have to get the most out of it.

Thanks Everyone

Hey thanks to all of you for your responses. I sure wished I had a Woodcrafters outlet around here - but all I have right now is snow. Live near Yosemite Park in California and their nearest outlet is quite some distance away.

It is great to read the 'banter' back and forth amoung you knowledgeable guys. Lots of info. And it seems to me that even though there are occassional disagreements or differing opinions you all respect each others thoughts. Thats one of the things that makes this site so great. Lots of opinions.

I appreciate everyones thoughts - thanks much,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold
    Paul,

I didn't mean to indicate the machines you mentioned are not of superior quality. There are many features that make them what they are. I'm a price/value guy and, even if I hit the Lottery this weekend, I'll spend the money wisely and get what I need.

The main point I was trying to make is that when a famous furniture designer and builder who has employees and does production work as well as some of the finest studio pieces around expresses his opinion about bandsaws, people should listen.

Regards,
    Bill,
    No problem... I understand where you were coming from. I do still sort of disgree though with your "famous furniture designer and builder" comment though. All these people are, is someone whom gets paid and well for work that they do. It is the same with all of these "celebrities" and professional athletes. We the public, put them on their pedestals. What I find interesting is that there are many people on this forum that they could easily be "famous woodworkers" but have other things in their lives that they do. The choice still comes down to what the individual wants, likes and deems as important to them.

I just received my Laguna 16HD

I am a boatbuilder, but currently am working for an eccentric, well resourced car fanatic. The project at hand is building a boattail skiff body on a 1922 ROLLS ROYCE. It's unlike any project I've undertaken before. It was time to invest in some new tools, and a bandsaw was the most challenging. I made the decision on the Laguna 16 HD, which arrived yesterday afternoon. It took about four hours to uncrate and tune up. I have so far used only the Resaw King blade,and I'm a true believer. I took a piece of trash firewood off the pile, placed it in a plywood cradle and ripped it in half, then quartersawed it to show all the grains available. Then I sliced 1/16th inch veneers out of both sides of the grain. Right out of the saw, the pieces were almost glass smooth. Awesome. The saw is pricey, and worth every penny. Then I grabbed a chunk of eucalyptus firewood. Although the wood checks badly, seeing the beautiful grain and colors was a treat I've never had with local woods. Now I want to find some fruitwood log sections to play with. I can't wait to start producing some wild coamings of Honduras mahogany to cover the end grains of the planking, trim for the dash and door trims, and other details of the car. The thought of crafting some veneers is leading to interesting further projects. I love resawing.

congrats on the new saw.. I am sure you will like it

lou

12. Hey great news Roy!!

Boy, I know I would sure like to see some pics of the boat tail you are working on (not to mention the new Bandsaw!).

Cheers!

Jim...I am quite new to SMC, but rest assured, you will get tons of info from this great resource, including wonderful laughs from some real characters!

I, too, am getting back into woodworking. Although my BS experience is limited, I can offer this from a consumer's stand-point. Do your research (inlcuding SMC opinions) to determine what your minimum requirements are, then seriously consider looking for a good used bandsaw.

Sure, if money is no option, go crazy. But there is good used equipment to be had.

Good luck!
    Matt

MM 16 vs Minimax

I agree with others above .
    I almost bought a Laguna 16 but researched a lot and found that popular opinion is that the MM 16 is one of the best if not the best.
    I also agree that Sam Blasco will do one thing for you , tell you the quality of the MM 16.
    I bought a reconditioned MM16 that Sam contacted me about , it saved me a lot of money and was cheaper than the Laguna even with the "march Special"
    I have it at the house right now and I could not be happier.
    Its one stout son of a gun.
    Now just have to get some Lenox carbide resaw blades for it.
    If you buy a MM16 its will be the one you keep for life
    Just my .02
    What ever you do get good luck and have fun with it.

The MiniMax is a fantastic machine and the Laguna is a pretty darn good one, but for an occasional user, are these worth the additional $?

That said, the obiquiteous 14" bandsaw with a riser block is a very versitile tool capable of straight and contoured cuts in a variety of stock. With extensive tuning and a very sharp blade a 14" bandsaw can effectively re-saw 10" hardwoods... for a while... but if re-sawing is going to be a primary use of a band-saw, a 14" machine simply is not an effective option.

I struggled for years to get effective results with such a machine, as often as not it was an exercise in frustration. And it's not that I wasn't trying, I was employing all of the accrued wisdom of the mags, the web and the almighty Mark Duginski, still I was frustrated.

So what to do? A couple years ago I was part of a group tool test for one of the mags. We reached a general concensus that the imported, welded frame, 16-18" machines offered the most bang for the buck. (We also concluded the the MM was the hands-down favority, and that the cheap Grizzly 14" was a bunch of saw for $400)

All of these machines are BASICALLY the same design, but there are SIGNIFICANT differences in the details, construction and features, so do your research. We found that on a couple of the machines you could actually deflect the upper wheel assembly half an inch by just grabbing and twisting. Generally: rigidity=good, flexibility=bad when re-sawing or most other machine related tasks.

Shortly after the test I found the $ for dedicated re-saw. For me it was a toss up between a few of the 17" - 18" imports in the $800-$1000. range

General Int 17"
    Grizzly 18"
    Shop Fox 17"
    Bridgewood 17"

The Rikon and Jet were out of the running because their frames were not as rigid as the others.

I settled for the Bridgewood 17" for ~$900. We've been using it for a couple years without any complaints. As others have mentioned, the blade is as important as the saw you put it on. Considering how much we cut, I should try carbides, but so far wer'e still using timberwolves with good results.

Good Luck.