Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tablesaw Accident - I'm an idiot

Tablesaw Accident - I'm an idiot

OK... It's official.... I'm an IDIOT and my left thumb is almost a 1/2" shorter to prove it. This happened last Saturday, March 11.

What was I thinking when I was....
    - running a tablesaw when my mind was pre-occupied on another matter. (Biggest Mistake!!!!!)
    - running a tablesaw without my blade gaurd in place
    - running a tablesaw without using my push sticks.

Answer: I wasn't thinking at all.

Anyway.. not paying attention, I reached for the cut off material and put my thumb right into the blade. Cut the tip off instantly. Calmly shut everything down, walked upstairs squeezing my thumb and told my wife we had to go to the hospital. After her initial shock when I told her not to look at it and just get me a clean wet rag, we headed for the hospital.

I received great treatment by 2 orthapedic surgeons (one was in training). They took x-rays, saw that I cut a through the tip of the bone and also cracked it. After they numbed me up, we were all joking about it as they went to work. Snip some bone here, fold some skin there, put some stitches here... I was all patched up.

The Doc asked my wife how much she was selling my tablesaw for and she told him it was free... and to come get it if he was interested. Obviously, I failed to see the humor in that.

Anyway, the moral of the story is to have your mind on your work and tools and use common sense... which... obviously... I lack.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow Dave! I hope you heal fast. I received the same kind of treatment when I did something stupid and broke my back! It's amazing how a quick poor decision can affect a person's life! Here's hoping you heal fast!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Dave,

Don't beat yourself up. It was an accident and they happen to the best. I hope your recovery is swift and as painless as possible.

Most of all, thank you for sharing your misfortune so the rest of us get a reminder of just how dangerous our hobby/profession can be.

I have been debating an overarm tablesaw guard and I think you just sealed the deal for me.

Ron Robinson

Wow, Dave!

Not sure what to say except that I sure hope the healing comes quickly and smoothly.

As awful as your accident is, it can serve as a reminder to all of us to stay focused on our safety when in the shop!

Please get well soon, Dave!

Dave, thanks for the confession. It serves to remnd the rest of us to be ever-diligent with our tools.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Now, about that free tablesaw ...

Dave,

Thanks for posting about your accident. Awareness and clarity are wonderful things and your unfortunate accident reminds of all of the what happens when we are of not totally focused on safety in the shop.

Hope you heal quickly.

Lloyd

Thanks Guys.

Thanks for the support guys.

In all seriousness.... I am very lucky... VERY LUCKY. It could have been so much worse. I'll tell you this much.... I won't let that tablesaw bite my again.

My wife was pissed when she went to the store Sunday and came home to find me running my bandsaw. I explained that I had to "get back on the horse" for my own piece of mind. Well, she shut me down and after scolding me for 10 minutes, brought me a bowl of ice cream and my anti-biotics....

Anyway... I'm making some Adirondack chairs to put on the porch of my new Pole Barn/woodshop I built last year. I'll post some pics of the finished chairs when I'm no longer grounded...

Dave,
    sorry to here about your accident.... hopefully you will heal quickly.
    Take it as a wake up call and don't give up woodworking.
    We have all probably violated one or all of the items you mentioned but just haven't got caught....

Dave,
    I feel really bad for you because you actually got bit by your saw. We all can probably relate to doing things that we often look back on and think dang that was idiotic.

You could now start a new movie rating system, for an excellent movie you could now give 1 7/8 thumbs up....Just kidding man, here's to quick healing
    Grant
    GO Buckeyes!

Wow, Dave. I sure do hate to hear about this. You should heal up pretty quickly and be back down there making sawdust again in no time at all.

I appreciate the reminder to be as safe as possible. I have been really sick with a cold but I still have work to get out. Wednesday I was ripping styles and rails under the influence of cold medicine. It is a wonder that I didn't experience the same thing as you have.

Heal up quickly.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Ouch Dave! It's always sobering to read these, but they also send a jolting reminder that it can and does happen. I'm very sorry it happened to you, but I very much appreciate that you shared it....much good can come of your post.

Don't beat yourself up too badly. We've all "gotten away" with similar behaviours...unfortunately you didn't this time. Hope you heal fast and will continue wwing.

Hang in there....
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Ouch - Hang In There

Don't sell that saw. It looks like you've gone through the worst learning curve and it'll all be smoother sailing from now on. Best of luck.
    David

Ouch!!! 'Hope the physical pain goes away quickly, Dave...

You make three very good points in your original post about the "why" of the accident, but above all, the first one is the most important: When using tools...tailed OR un-tailed...preoccupation can easily lead to "human based stain" on your project and/or tools. Please, everyone, listen to Dave on that one no matter what!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dave

Thank you for beating yourself up and doing it publicly. It is easy to get distracted. I make thousands of cuts on my TS and try very hard to make myself concentrate on each one. Stories like yours can only help me and others.

Heal quick. Heal Well.

Sorry to hear this and get well soon. I don't know what sort of blade guard you have, but I heartily recommend the overhead type (I have an Excalibur and am very happy with it). REading this sort of story is scary and it was a big motivation to put the guard on my saw. THanks for sharing this.