Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heavy duty extension cords

I'm still using some cords I made up from 12/3 SO and Hubbell ends in the late '70's. I've had to replace a few ends because the connections inside had loosened and arced, but only a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Other than camp ground outlets for motor homes, I know of no other 30 amp, 125 volt plugs. The plug determines amperage rating. The receptical on your generator, is it a twist lock? If so is it a three prong, or four prong outlet?
    Yes it is a twist lock and the cord is a Nema L5-30P to three 5-15R. The generator also has two separate 20 amp receptacles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    If a manufacturer puts a 15 amp mounded plug on the extension cord, that is it’s UL rating.
    Yeah, that makes sense.

Much thanks to all. Very helpful.

My solution is just to re-terminate the cord with the plugs/receptacles that are appropriate for the useage. For example, I have a few 240v extensions I made from 120v extension cords that have the appropriate gage for my application(s) It's a little harder to find 10 gage that don't cost a fortune, however, but 12 gage that will support 20 amps are easy to buy inexpensively. As Mike mentioned, you can buy SOxx type cable by the foot (10 gage is about $3 a foot right now...I bought some for my new slider the other day to make up a cord) to handle the 30 amp stuff.

Do note that length matters...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...