Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB - Heavy Duty Scraper (turning)

WTB - Heavy Duty Scraper (turning)

Looking for a heavy duty scraper for use with large oak turning.

Blog Entries
    This may not be what you are thinking of for the job > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SBZXTCG...pa_dk_detail_3

But it may actually be what can do the job. You may also find something locally at a chef's or commercial restaurant store.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Heavy duty bowl scraper, maby posted in wrong place, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elett View Post
    Heavy duty bowl scraper, maby posted in wrong place, thanks.
    This is the right place to ask.

Do you have a size in mind? (length of scraper without handle, width, thickness) I assume the handle doesn't matter much since you can make one as needed, and you could change the grind. I've traded or given away most of my big scrapers but if you say what you're looking for I could check to see if I have any more, or some others might.

JKJ

3 /4 wide and thick
    I can make a handle ,using to cut out oak I have 1/2 would like something with more leverage, perhaps 12 inch long blade ? Thanks

3 /4 wide and thick
    I can make a handle ,using to cut out oak I have 1/2 would like something with more leverage, perhaps 12 inch long blade ? Thanks
    Sorry not 3/4 thick just a heavy duty scraper.

Blog Entries
    Thompson 10V scraper (tool on the right) 1-3/8" wide. Just shy of 3/8" thick. Retail $130 without a handle. I'm asking $80 with a handle made by my father plus shipping to you from 92509 (probably about $20).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe sale (23).jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	495678

The thing is pretty massive.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-17-2023 at 12:04 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Looks like a great bottom scraper I will keep it on the wishlist, right now looking for side scraper. Thanks.

Look at these scrapers, might be what you are looking for

https://www.thewoodturningstore.com/...ools/scrapers/

Thanks for the link to the Wood Turning Store,I'll look for one new.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Thompson 10V scraper (tool on the right) 1-3/8" wide. Just shy of 3/8" thick. Retail $130 without a handle. I'm asking $80 with a handle made by my father plus shipping to you from 92509 (probably about $20).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe sale (23).jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	495678

The thing is pretty massive.
    Glenn, if the OP doesn’t want your Thompson scraper, I’d like it. PM coming.
    earl

Your still posting pictures when I bought.this on 2/17 and other than the initial reply have not heard back after sending 3 emails to you,What is up? Jerry Lear

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Lear View Post
    Your still posting pictures when I bought.this on 2/17 and other than the initial reply have not heard back after sending 3 emails to you,What is up? Jerry Lear
    Jerry, I am sorry you are having communications problems. I have responded multiple times without getting a response from you so we are both having the same issue. I must confess that after enough out of sequence responses I thought it was purposeful on your part. There are some folks (trolls) out there that do this sort of thing for kicks. If that is indeed not the case I apologize again, as I had multiple times via your emails. In my last response to both of your threads I stated that I was sorry that we were not connecting well and that I had to move on. Again, if the behavior was not intentional I can only apologize so much. After so many days with no shipping address and no payment I felt I could not keep waiting.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-24-2023 at 9:23 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I gave my email and received 3 emails from you.I gave my email address my zip code and asked you to give me a final price.That is the is the last I heard.
    My email is glear@comcast.net. Jerry

Looks like a great bottom scraper I will keep it on the wishlist, right now looking for side scraper. Thanks.
    You can put any grind you want on it. Nothing magical about the one it comes with. Thompson mostly sells blanks that you shape to suit your needs.