Thread: air compressor issue

air compressor issue

I have a California Air Tools model 8010. Recently it started leaking air out of the regulator and would not hold pressure, as it started leaking after the compressor turned off. I replaced the entire regulator assembly, with on/off switch etc. it is still doing the same thing with the air leaking out of the same exact part/place. Seems hard to imagine the odds on that. I am not much of a mechanic. Any ideas from those with better skills than I have?
    Last edited by Joe Cowan; 03-15-2023 at 3:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    It is possible the part you are connecting the regulator to is cracked.

You cold try some liquid pipe sealant. (Do not use Teflon Tape, shreds can ruin your regulator). Loctite PST pipe sealant works well, but you will need to let it cure before pressurizing.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I would try calling California Air Tools. I have no idea if they have good support or not but would like to know if you wouldn't mind reporting your results.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schuch View Post
    I would try calling California Air Tools. I have no idea if they have good support or not but would like to know if you wouldn't mind reporting your results.
    I tried calling but got into the automated voice system and eventually asked to find a service center.

Spray some Windex around the regulator to see where it's leaking exactly and report back. A leak will generate a stream of bubbles.

I would guess the tank check valve is leaking.
    Bill D

Hard to explain this. There is a part attached to the regulator assembly, that seems to have a small relief hole in it. The compressor will get up to max pressure, then turn off and the air will begin leaking out of this hole. It seems to be some sort of relief hole, but it will not stop and will leak down till the tank is empty. I was wondering if it was going up to to much pressure and this was compensating for that, but it does not stop after relieving the pressure.

Could just be a piece of trash in the relief valve not letting it close all the way.

Many regulators have a small lever operated relief valve based on a tire valve. When the switch trips off the lever moves enough to bump the valve and dump the air between the pump and relief valve. This is so pump does not start against pressure.
    Your small hole may be a relief bleed for the back side of the regulator diaphragm housing. One side is pressurized and the back has to be in free air. If diaphragm is bad or not sealed on the edges air will leak out behind it and through that bleed hole.
    Bill D