Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you use a hold down with your cross cut sled?

Never a hold down, a stop almost every time.

It depends on what I'm cutting, but 99% of the time.

I make segmented turnings often and the slightest movement can throw off alignment of the entire ring. This one has 120 segments, errors are not allowed.
    IMG_2140.jpg
    Not to mention pieces can get quite small. A simple toggle clamp is all that's necessary to cut my pieces accurately and maintain my current count of 10 digits.
    (I don't want to hear about the wedgie sled, thank you)

I also use a modified Incra sled with adjustable toggle clamps for most cross cut tasks, example
    IMG_0254.jpg
    To each his own, be safe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post

I make segmented turnings often and the slightest movement can throw off alignment of the entire ring. This one has 120 segments, errors are not allowed.
    IMG_2140.jpg
    Not to mention pieces can get quite small. A simple toggle clamp is all that's necessary to cut my pieces accurately and maintain my current count of 10 digits.

I also use a modified Incra sled with adjustable toggle clamps for most cross cut tasks, example
    IMG_0254.jpg
    To each his own, be safe
    This is a great example of the helpfulness of hold downs when accuracy and repeatability are needed. Safety benefits come along for the ride through the saw as well!

Edward, that’s a nice looking sled. Is that one of the INCRA build it systems?

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg
    To each his own, be safe

My use of my crosscut sled is usually to make repeated short cuts. To that end my hold down is typically a No. 2 pencil with the eraser end pressed against the short offcut.
    Chuck Taylor

I use two clamps every time... both hands.

It's the miter express with my own (larger) panels.
    I use a 1000 HD on it

I think there is more flexibility on this for straight cuts where the material is supported by a fence that's perpendicular to the travel through the cut. But when you get into angles or objects that have odd shapes, clamping is essential. I don't really use a sled, per-se with my slider (occasionally for something unique) but any time I'm going to cut something where a stop on the "miter" fence isn't going fully support the material, that sucker gets held down with my clamps for sure. The same is true for things where my hand/fingers might get closer to the cut line than I'm comfortable with.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It's the miter express with my own (larger) panels.
    I use a 1000 HD on it
    This is a wedgie sled based on the Incra Build-it system. To ensure zero clearance cutting, the panel that runs along the blade can be easily swapped out when the blade is tilted for, e.g., cutting staves.

20230331_215044.jpg
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

I have had routed in rail clamps in my sleds latest 10+ years and use the clamps frequently, I would say daily when I'm in the shop. My previous sled was 12mm and had routed through t-tracks, they survived quite well. The advantage with routing through is that the tracks doesn't get filled with saw dust. I use the clamps for all kind of things. Standard square cuts, clamping work at odd angles, clamping stop blocks, clamping zero clerance pieces (if cutting laminate for instance) etc etc.

This was early in my "video career" and not the best of movies but it least it shows the concept. If I did a new sled today I would consider using the microjig dovetail clamps instead.

https://youtu.be/UuoqtK3L-MY
    Last edited by Ola Carmonius; 04-03-2023 at 4:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by al ladd View Post

The best solution for quick and effective is a fence mounted toggle clamp. Attachment 498735
    I would say you need to reach a certain volume before the toggle clamp beats routed in clamps in terms of speed. Routed in clamps are slightly more time consuming to operate if cutting many pieces, but takes zero seconds to adjust for different workpiece thicknesses, where the toggles require adjusting.

I really like your sled Ola. I am thinking of adapting the ideas to make open ended T-slots that would work with my adjustable Kreg Bench Clamp.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Never on 90* cuts, yes on angled cuts to keep the stick from shifting.

Good point on the thickness/volume issue Ola, and your sled is terrific! I should have qualified that fence mounted is best for repeat cuts. I'll have to take a look at those track clamps....
    Last edited by al ladd; 04-02-2023 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I really like your sled Ola. I am thinking of adapting the ideas to make open ended T-slots that would work with my adjustable Kreg Bench Clamp.
    Not sure that's a good idea. The main reason the routed t-tracks (or dovetail tracks if using microjigs clamps) survives is that you clamp directly on top of the track, supporting the track from above as you clamp. Any kind of lever or hold down clamp will create a pull force on the track, which then is unsupported from above.