Thread: Trip to a lumber yard

Blog Entries

Trip to a lumber yard

I needed to pick up 12 feet of 5/4 x4" red oak I need for a project I'm working on. While I was there I looked at several dozen large 2" thick slabs of hardwood trees they had on display. Here are three samples.
    This one shows a black walnut slab that is 3-3-1/2 feet with and 12+ feet tall next to a hickory slab that is over 2 feet wide and a bit taller than the black walnut.
    20230424_141539.jpg
    This is a tiger maple slab that is a bit over 30" wide.
    20230424_141551.jpg
    This one is a slab of figured black walnut 18-20" wide
    20230424_141530.jpg

Next time I go out there, I will take my good camera instead of my phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

What's wrong Lee? Having to change to a camera instead of your phone because of all the slobber on it from drooling over those slab pics? Haha! BTW, that's all I can do with the price of lumber anymore.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Prices????

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Prices????
    Yeah, exactly. I see those too and the prices are obscene. Sometimes 4 figures.

I think the market is geared toward someone with money, a sander, and woodworking aspirations.

"Look, honey! I made a table!"

OK, just zoomed in on the "figured walnut slab" for $78. Good Heavens- you live in a very different market than I do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    What's wrong Lee? Having to change to a camera instead of your phone because of all the slobber on it from drooling over those slab pics? Haha! BTW, that's all I can do with the price of lumber anymore.
    No, I took the photos without checking them and for whatever reason, they weren't focused very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    OK, just zoomed in on the "figured walnut slab" for $78. Good Heavens- you live in a very different market than I do.
    Yes the lumber yard dearly loves their thick slabs. I paid $27.35 ($2.30 per ft) for 12 feet of S4S 5/4 x 4" kiln dried red oak, and that was a lower price than the other lumber place I called that was $3.90 per foot and was 2-3 weeks out.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-25-2023 at 2:19 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute