Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shelix Head DW735 Expectations

"I think that, if Dewalt intended the 735 to be a helical head planer, it would have offered that option by now. There is enough interest that, making it an option at purchase, would probably generate business. ..."
    --Randy Heinemann

BINGO! I purchased a 735x in December 2022. I thought about a shelix, then other told me that same as whet you posted. So far, the 3 blades work well and I do not work with highly figured/exotic woods.

Shelix head worked great in my DW-735. I think most of the opinions about overheating etc are from people who don’t own a converted 735 or have “heard” about overheating issues.

It’s a lightweight consumer planer, so light passes are required. 1/4 turn passes worked for me, never had any overheating issues taking 13” width passes even in white oak. If you need to take heavy passes, buy a heavier duty planer.

It’s also puzzled me why people expect a finish ready surface from their planer. A planer is meant to thickness stock to the correct dimension. Random orbital sanders, smoothing planes etc. prep the surface.

Here’s a simple fixture to hold the knives and hone them. It won’t remove big nicks but the cheap plastic smith diamond hone does a pretty good job for not much money.
    The cut angle is 45 degrees
    Good Luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

In my opinion, Keegan hits the nail on the head. I like the segmented head in my 735 because it significantly cuts the noise down. I’m also willing to accept that it doesn’t leave a glass smooth finish even though the head in my jointer does. However, I will also say that this is the second 735 with Shelix head that I’ve owned and the first one did leave glass smooth finish. It was purchased back around 2016 and the current one sometime after CoVid. The current one leaves lines like the OP’s does so I’m wondering if they had a quality change after the CoVid effect. I know they went through an employee and/or material shortage situation so maybe the newer product isn’t quite as refined as their older one. Who knows. Either way, it only takes a few minutes to hit the item with a plane or sander after planing before you move on to glue up or other steps.

One thing I’ll also add is that I have a Shelix in my 735 and a luxcut in my jet jointer. If I were to replace the Shelix, I’d buy a luxcut for the 735 because it is designed so that the cutters self align whereas the Shelix has some play that requires you to more carefully install the cutters to get them seated properly. This alone could account for some of the cut issues, as well as the items pointed out by others above.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    Shelix head worked great in my DW-735. I think most of the opinions about overheating etc are from people who don’t own a converted 735 or have “heard” about overheating issues.

It’s a lightweight consumer planer, so light passes are required. 1/4 turn passes worked for me, never had any overheating issues taking 13” width passes even in white oak. If you need to take heavy passes, buy a heavier duty planer.

It’s also puzzled me why people expect a finish ready surface from their planer. A planer is meant to thickness stock to the correct dimension. Random orbital sanders, smoothing planes etc. prep the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    Is there another solution besides Byrd Shelix? Surely someone else makes these type of heads?
    it's a function of the indexible inserts and smaller diameter, fewer rows. Don't think another brand will make a difference.

When customers call and ask if they will get a better finish than the steel knives I always tell them for normal woods nothing gives a better finish than a sharp set of steel knives it's the other benefits you have to appreciate. Figured woods, different story.

I have had a 735 w/shelix for 10 years. Moderate usage. Never rotated the cutters. Finished surface just requires a pass or two with an orbital sander. The only downside to me is the passes have to be pretty thin but I have used it so long now adjusting the pass cuts is second nature and I down think about it anymore. I find it hard to believe there is a planner out there that produces a surface that doesn't at least a little sanding. Anyway, if you are in to buying rough sawn wood then get a bigger planner. I get mine S3 sides and am very happy with my planer.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    It was a frustrating experience. I don’t personally see the benefit of the helical heads unless you happen to work with really figured wood on a regular basis, which I do not.
    Haven't seen the scallops using my ShopFox 1728H, but YMMV. I like shellix heads for jointers and planners because then I don't have to waste a bunch of time f*** around with sharpening jigs and alignment jigs when I re-install the knives. For people who are good at this, it's probably less of an issue, but it absolutely broke me last time I had to do this.

Basically I had a 8" Warrior jointer with HSS knives. I got a nick in one of the blades, and decided to resharpen. So an hour or two resharpening the blades, and then 4-5 hours messing around with a magnetic knife jig to re-install them. Never got them quite right, and got scallops with the HSS knives, which was not a problem before. Also something in the pine I was jointing resulted in the knives being chipped again. I gladly paid a grand or so to not have to mess with the whole thing ever again. Also now when I get a chip, I can easily turn a couple of inserts. It's quieter, the cuts are nicer, and it's easier for the DC.

But really for me I'm trading money to avoid a nightmare, something I seldom do.

As for the 735, it doesn't have a helix head because at the time it didn't make sense for the price point. (Dewalt does everything to a price point) You could upgrade to a nicer 4 post 15" thicknesser for about the price of head + base dewalt planer, and get a much better over all build, including cast iron tables and bed, mobile base, 2-3HP motor, resharpenable HSS knives, and internally all nicely machine metal parts. If you added the tables + dewalt base to the 735 you were reasonable close to a 15" planer so it just made sense to upgrade. I think with all the inflation this basic calculus has shifted a bit, and helix heads are far more common than when the 735 was originally released, so maybe if DeWalt releases an upgrade they might adjust this, who knows?

If your getting nicks in straight knives from ordinary common domestic woods rocks and dirt are getting imbedded in the surface or ends.
    I used to have this problem until realized i cannot store wood on the ground. Or anyplace or vehicle that was hauling dirt.
    The only time I see nicks when I’m using dirty wood. It’s really that simple.
    Since jointers are handfeed insert heads to me they have more cons then pros. Insert heads scrap wood they cut a lot like dull high speed steel.
    I used to have a 8 inch jointer with a insert head. It was only good for thick boards and exotics like teak. I remember running some fat wood full of pitch i was very disappointed.
    I currently have a powermatic planer with insert head and a jointer with straight knives.
    Good Luck
    Aj

This is an old thread that has been resurrected and I was reluctant to chime in - until now. I’ve had a 735 for 4 years and have never been tempted to “upgrade” to a Shelix head. I’ve replaced the original OEM HSS blades once, an easy 10 minute process. I don’t use rough cut lumber, do occasionally use figured woods, and always take shallow passes. On the rare occasions I do get tear out, a few passes with a #4 handplane or scraper resolves any issues. I can’t remember the last time I needed to use sandpaper. The result is a glass smooth surface.

One other thing that keeps coming up, i.e., noise reduction. First of all, I always wear hearing protection, so it’s a non-factor. By far the major contributor to noise on the 735 is the dust extractor fan. There are YouTube videos comparing the noise level of straight knives vs. Shelix and the difference is merely a few decibels. So that’s an old and tired argument.

Bottom line, if you think a Shelix head will improve the performance of a 735, by all means go for it. I’d rather invest my money in a couple of nice hand planes.

Could just be “ sand-blasting” from being hit by wood bits. With that type pine the dark hard grain does that. Especially when chip
    suction is weak. Try some hot water on a cloth.