Thread: Stinky bronze skin reaction

Stinky bronze skin reaction

Hello folks
    Needed to clean up end grain of a square block, so finally took my 60 1/2 out to the shed, as its been in the house for a long time,
    years since I've used it.
    Quite pleased it hadn't rusted apart from a wee spot, in the long time it's been on the mantle, that paper is good stuff!.

Done the little task required, oiled it up and wrapped up again for the time being, lots of other work to be done before woodworking can be practical in the shed.
    Nearly had to go into the house and wash me hands, due to the reaction from my sweat.
    Carried on with my metalworking regardless, but was stank out of it.

I get this also with guitar strings, why I buy Elixer nanoweb's, (they've got a coating) but still I get this,
    perhaps I need change'em since they're years old, but I haven't noodled about in a while...they last and last compared to most.
    I digress, but just mentioning probably worth getting some new ones to see if this phenomenon is getting worse.
    Used to have those copper bands for me wrists, but they didn't work and got stinky, but perhaps I only noticed this when going through the junk drawer.

Thinking along the same lines of such a finish or whatever as the strings, and wondering if folks do the same.
    It's been real hot recently, which likely exasperates this, so wondering if some of you Neanderthal Creeker's might have experienced such a thing?

Not really troubled about the look for resale value, if something works, the plane has earned it's keep as far as I'm concerned.
    Not into barrier creams as I have skin issues.

So...
    Could it be just oxidation, Would a good wipe down be the solution for a rarely used tool,
    or is there something else which might do the trick.

Cheers
    Tom

One of the things I do is nickel plate tools. Stops rust and it doesn't oxidize like some other metals. Would this be of interest to you?

Thanks for the reply Eric, but funds wouldn't allow that as the plane is an absolute extravagance as it is, so kinda looking for some kind of cheap solution.
    Interesting none the less though!

Cheers
    Tom

Eric, I would like to learn more about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hill View Post
    Eric, I would like to learn more about this.
    I have a electro plating system at home. I can copper or nickel plate iron, steel, brass, bronze. I cannot at this time plate aluminum, pewter, or non-conductive pieces. My system uses 6.5 gallon buckets, so typically the pieces must fit the bucket. For longer pieces I can plate each end and then polish the seam. I bought the chemicals to do this from https://caswellplating.com/

Here is a group I've plated.

Group Plated 3-29-23.jpg

Really cool Eric! Nickel plating is great for corrosion resistance.

I’ve read that the solutions left over are pretty nasty. Is that true? If so, how are you disposing of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    Really cool Eric! Nickel plating is great for corrosion resistance.

I’ve read that the solutions left over are pretty nasty. Is that true? If so, how are you disposing of it?
    Well, there are several solutions. The degreaser can be diluted with water and flushed. The nickel solution can be taken to a recycle center. However, there are only two times when this may be needed. If the solution becomes contaminated or you are completely done. Under normal use the degreaser is run about 200F and has evaporation losses. So distilled water is used to refill. When taking a part out of the bucket you rinse it off with distilled water, which makes up a little. When the solution becomes weak you add more powdered chemical. The nickel is similar except the nickel anode is slowly deposited on the cathode (the part) and keeps the solution at the right consistency. It is used over and over requiring replacing the nickel anode. I do my plating in the garage for light and fresh air. The fumes from the 200F degreaser can cause rusting but really isn't a bad actor. I move my chemicals into the basement for winter.

There are some plating solutions that I don't use that are nasty. They typically contain acids.

To plate I use a DC power supply set on constant current. It takes .07 amps per square inch.

Before anyone asks, I will not be chrome plating. It's chemicals are nasty and it takes ten times the power.

Thank you Eric, that is a great looking result! I tried one of the Caswell "mini" plating kits years ago and did not get good results. It looks like I need to go for something better if I try this again. Cheers!

To the OP's question - I think its the oxidation that has that metal smell. Once I cleaned up the oxidation on an old bronze LN plane and waxed it, the smell went away. I think I used Brasso.