Thread: Rockwell Delta 10" Table Saw Model # 34-335 (Vintage)

Rockwell Delta 10" Table Saw Model # 34-335 (Vintage)

Replaced bearings in motor myself and completed assembly. Have problem with alignment of blade in table insert. Have no idea how to correcting the alignment. Was suggested to loosen four bolts holding table and tapping table top over to correct alignment. No movement of table was able to be made to correct. Please advise me a method to correct alignment. THANKS, Rich

Try asking the question in the general tool and woodworking forum.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Moved to GW&PT
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Is this a Unisaw or a Contractor Saw?

The trunnions fasten to the saw table, so those four bolts are the ones to loosen for adjustment- not too easy to reach unless you remove the table & assembly from the base & turn it upside down.

You do understand that there is NO ADJUSTMENT (practical anyway) for the blade insert in the x-y axis; right ? That hole was cast/machined into the table at manufacturing stage and it is fixed.

Now, if you're trying to align the blade to the miterslot, then you're on the right track. FORGET ABOUT the blade's relation to the insert for the moment and concentrate on getting the blade to align with your miter slot. Undo the bolts securing the trunion and loosely snug them up so that you can manipulate the assembly. There are dozens of books on the subject and prob. a thousand UooooToooob videos that can help guide you on aligning a contractor saw's blade to its miterslot.

I'll bet the owner's manual illustrates how to do it too.

Use a dial indicator attached to the mitre gauge to measure blade offset. the HF di is plenty good enough for this job.
    BilL D

If you have a zero clearance insert for the saw you can probable will need to get a new one. Your saw has a rep of going out of alignment so replace the 4 bolts that hold the trunnions on with grade 5 or grade 8 bolts which can be purchased at any hardware store. My delta saw is my #2 saw but it hasn't went out of alignment in the 15 years since I put in the Grade 5 bolts. the have 3 lines on them

I think they are called contractor saw pals and they can be purchased from In-line Industries as well as other places I know the Woodsmith store carries them. They will make your life a lot easier when aligning the saw to the table. I use a piece of wood about 2 inches wide. I cut it off at the front of the blade then I move to the back of the blade. If it cuts at the back then you know how the back of the blade need to be moved. I make the cuts from each miter slot, move the blade a little and then re-cut until I am not cutting on either side at the back. Or it is the same sound at the back. Your front cut should be at least a full kerf cut and then continue to the back on each side.

You can also purchase a $100 dial indicator to check the blade but it doesn't really help, because the saw is not running and you only check the cord of a circle. ne 2 inch wide board is cheaper and more accurate. If you are cutting a wide board you do not want it to be cutting at the back as you are cutting at the front. And that can only be achieved with the blade running. The indicator is a waist of money but good marketing.

I hope I have helped and saved you a lot of money. When you are done replace each stud of the pals one at a time with the hardened bolts. they to can have bolt stretch.

One other thing because of the way the trunnions are placed the front of the blade moves with the back of the blade so things what you are moving isn't exactly what you get.

You can PM me if you have other questions
    Tom

Yes a cheap indicator from HF will help when moving the blade. You can mount it on a miter gauge for getting close but a stopped blade is not a running blade.
    Tom

I think they are called contractor saw pals and they can be purchased from In-line Industries as well as other places I know the Woodsmith store carries them
    Are you certain the Pals fit the 34-335 ?

That's not the ubiquitous Delta Contractor Saw everyone talks about. It was a cheaper homeowners saw with plastic and stamped steel ala crapsman. I suspect it'll work, but I'd verify before i order a set.

THANKS DAVE, Will have to remove stand to get at those 4 trunnion bolts, hard to accomplish anything working with stand in place. Hopefully I can gain the eighth of an inch move needed to center blade from measurements from miter slot. No owners manual available to follow for this vintage saw. APPRECIATE YOUR ADVIVE, THANKS AGAIN

The HF dial indicator is about $20 not 100. Read the difference front to back and move the table 1/2 of that number at one end, rinse, repeat.
    Bill D