Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop Patent Ending ?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    What the SCM offering? The Felder model relies on cameras and comes in at around $100K for the saw. I think that's outside the reach of most people here.
    Are you thinking of the Altendorf? My understanding of the Felder system is that it works by electromagnetic field surrounding the blade. The Altendorf uses the optical system.

I own a SS. I have owned other brands over the years. When I decided to buy a new saw, I looked at all the major brands. The decision came down to me getting on in years, and and interest in my grandkids wanting to learn some woodworking. That made the decision for me. With that said, I would love to see other companies either develop their own tech or use the SS tech.

I often think that impetus behind the Delta Uni-saw redesign was to incorporate future SawStop or a SawStop clone technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    I often think that impetus behind the Delta Uni-saw redesign was to incorporate future SawStop or a SawStop clone technology.
    The inability to add a riving knife to the traditional cabinet saws is what caused the design changes. Tough to implement with a pivoting arbor.

I followed this topic pretty closely over the years and one conclusion that I came to is, that while SS did have a positive impact on safety, in number of digits saved.
    There's no way to know how much better things could have been with some healthy competition.
    It's hard to boast that your system is the safest, if there is no competition due to you impenetrable web of patents.
    There have been plenty of other systems developed that in testing, have the same level of safety, without demolishing the blade.
    If and when, the SS patents expire, the consumer just might benefit from more, possibly better choices when it comes to safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIYx7aA8I-I&t=256s

Here's a demo video of the SCM system. It may be the Altendorf technology, I don't know. The hot dog part of the demo is about at 4 minutes in. It's video based. Yes, it doesn't look like a cheap saw they're showing it on. OTOH, I'd love to have one.

The narration is in Italian, but the fellow speaks slowly and clearly enough that I'm almost getting it. Gives me at least a little hope that the many, many hours I've put into trying to learn how to ask where the facilities are in Florence haven't all gone to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    ..,,,,, haven't all gone to waste.
    Cue the rim-shot

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Howell View Post
    I own a SS. I have owned other brands over the years. When I decided to buy a new saw, I looked at all the major brands. The decision came down to me getting on in years, and and interest in my grandkids wanting to learn some woodworking. That made the decision for me. With that said, I would love to see other companies either develop their own tech or use the SS tech.
    Agreed. I think my Powermatic equipment is as good if not better built than my SS. If they came out with something, I'd probably ditch the SS and go team Gold for all the major tools in the shop.

My bet is on Harvey though. Those guys seem to be big innovators in the woodworking world and make some really nice stuff too. Maybe they'll come up with something?

The Altendorf saw looks great and it might save a finger or two but will cost a arm or leg to own one.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    The Altendorf saw looks great and it might save a finger or two but will cost a arm or leg to own one.
    love that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Give up the leg.... the arm is much more useful in the shop
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Give up the leg.... the arm is much more useful in the shop
    I'm sure some of the woodturners would be happy to help me with the new peg leg too.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    What the SCM offering? The Felder model relies on cameras and comes in at around $100K for the saw. I think that's outside the reach of most people here.

Also I agree we are unlikely to see much price difference. You can see that with the pricing for track saws, or how the Bosch version added about $800 to what was a direct copy of their regular job site saw.
    Hi Andrew, the Felder system does not rely on cameras, Altendorf’s does.

Felder, like SawStop relies on blade contact to initiate the safety system.

Both Felder and Altendorf simply require a reset command to return the saw to initial setup.

Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Myles Moran View Post
    I'm sure some of the woodturners would be happy to help me with the new peg leg too.
    The IFW would look like a pirates convention.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd McKinlay View Post
    [I]Patent expiration (2021).
    Thanks .. it is a really good summation of the SawStop technology. It’s interesting that the inventor was a patent attorney.