Thread: 29 piece split point drill bit recommendations, please..

29 piece split point drill bit recommendations, please..

I would like to buy a "really good" 29 piece set of split point drill bits. I had an old Triumph set of HSS bits, but many of them are missing now and I would like to go ahead and upgrade. These would need to stand up to normal daily usage (wood, aluminum, soft steel) and the occasional thick hardened steel when necessary. I want to also be able to re-sharpen them through their life, so some kind of "coated" bit is not what I am looking for. I appreciate your input.

thanks,
    david

Go to McMaster-Carr, search for split point drill bit sets.

On the left, choose 29 bits.

There are a lot of coated options, but keep scrolling and you'll hit the uncoated cobalt steel. Exactly why you'd want to be able to resharpen.

2/3 the cost of the TiN-coated version.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Ive been successful with dewalts black oxide and Milwaukee sets have been good to us as well. Mostly they get lost on the jobs before burning up. The 1/4' bits do go we use them alot.

The steel is the only thing you mention that will really eat any of them. SS is the worst(for everything)

+1 on the cobalt bits.

regular suspects; Cleveland, morse, OSG, Gurhing, Viking, Norseman, NACHI, Dormer, PTD.
    Parabolic clears chips better
    135 or 118?
    BilL D

The brand name stamped in my box says Hanson, but after 40 some years I doubt there is an original bit left in it. I'm sure some of them are Hanson's because I used to buy the sleeves of 5 bits to replace the broken tiny ones, and I still have some of those sleeves with a few in them from decades ago.

This is't quite what was asked about, but Garrett Wade sells a 14 size bit set (3/64" to 3/8") with multiple copies of each. These are TiN coated bits. TiN coated bits can be resharpened, the coating is simply removed on the cutting edge. The set is currently $70. I have had this equivalent set for years and the included sizes have always filled my needs for both wood and metal work. There is also a 27 size bit set that is presently $199 which has multiple copies of each size.

Blog Entries
    I have plenty of really nice HSS drill bits. My "normal daily usage" bits at the bench are a set of 29 from Lowes that are branded Hitachi. They used to have them on sale at Xmas, maybe still do. I think I paid $19 back in 2005. Those and a Drill Doctor just keep going, and going, and going. I use them for all of my soft drilling where brad-points are not the better answer. I have a set of cobalt for steel. May as well mention that proper storage is a good way to extend the life of your bits. Loose in a tube or a drawer makes as much sense as storing your files or chisels the same way
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Lee Valley sells great drill bits.

I have the small hss brad point set from LV and its awesome. I'm going to invest in the larger set when I order from them next.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Lee Valley sells great drill bits.

Some years ago I bought a Norseman HSS set. A bit pricey, but I have never regretted the purchase - they are far and away the sharpest and toughest drill bits I've ever used. I highly recommend them.

I bought a Fisch 29 piece brad point set from Woodcraft. i haven't had the opportunity to use it yet, but I've used other Fisch bits in the past and they are really good. They cut cleanly and easily through all the types of wood I've tried so far. I also have a set of their wavecutter Forstner bits, and they cut a lot cleaner than the old Craftsman set that I have.

Take a look at the FISCH drill bits - they are by far the best drill bits in my shop