Thread: Gf water based conversion varnish

Gf water based conversion varnish

Hi all

I’m fairly familiar with GF’s poly line. I’ve used many gallons of high performance, white poly, and black poly. But I am interested in trying the water based conversion varnish on a project I have in the works. My concern is the odor. I work in a shared shop and we try very hard to stay clear of anything harmful.

I know some here really like Target stuff, but I am a little under the gun and don’t really have the lead time to place an order.

Anyone here have insight into GF conversion varnish? I’m assuming since it’s water based its much less gnarly than the standard stuff.

Ilva is another option that is offered locally. I’m in NYC btw.

Thanks for taking a look.

Read General Finishes cautions about the catalyst. It contains isocyanates. Look around the web about the hazards of isocyanates.

I agree with Jamie's advice. To be more specific, I think you will need a spray booth if you plan to use it indoors, and you will need a full complement of PPE, not just an organics respirator. TC's EM-8000CV is not a true 2 part, catalyzed varnish. You can optionally add a cross linker to it, but the finish still will not catalyze. It has very low odor, although I would still not spray any product indoors with some sort of spray booth in a shared shop, and you only need a good organics respirator when spraying. For the circumstances you described, the TC product seems to be the better (safer) choice.

Sorry, no knowledge about Ilva's offerings.

John

Thanks for the insight guys. Per usual, was being a little too optimistic. I’ll stick with clear poly. Decent all around and quick build with the sanding sealer. Look forward to trying the target stuff eventually.

We do have a well vented finish room, but I don’t really like using anything gnarly as I only have a standard respirator and Im sure some trace amount makes it on to the shop floor. A-R-S is about as stinky as I like to go.

Appreciate it!