Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for organizing my shop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Have this to help on the wall but don’t think I’ve used it to full effect…
    Attachment 508567
    Attachment 508568
    I like many of the points David made:

Quote Originally Posted by David Carroll View Post
    … here are a few ideas that have worked well for me.

2. Things that you use most should hang closer than things seldom used.

4. Make a special station for sharpening (away from your bench so it doesn't get the bench all black and dirty).

7. Generally, for tool storage, I prefer that every tool has it's own spot, instead of open till arrangements where you must spend a lot of time digging through things you don't want to get to the thing you do want.

The main thing is a place for everything and everything in its place (not everything all over the place). By nature I am a sloppy worker
    What I see in your pictures Tony, is things taking up more space than is needed. A block of wood with holes drilled in it can hold your screwdrivers in less space. Almost all of my screwdrivers are kept in drawers.

Drawers are good for holding many things like small tools and hardware. One of my medium sized drawers holds five different twist drill indexes, a doweling guide and some scrapers.

A smaller drawer holds my most frequently used compass & dividers.

Compass-Divider Drawer.jpg

My chisels, planes, saws and boring tools are all about equal distance from my bench. Those are the tools used the most.

Making shelves and drawers is woodworking 101. It will also be good practice for future projects.

There are two "special stations" for sharpening in my shop. One is for water stones the other for oilstones. One should suffice for most woodworkers. Having a permanent sharpening station makes it easier to touch up a blade instead of continuing with one that is getting dull.

A place for everything and everything in its place is a well proven habit of successful workers in many fields.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

This look any better?
    Work on Sat., plenty of room.JPG
    Narrower shelf unit..stores all the larger items
    Work on Sat., loaded up.JPG
    And...once the overhead light bulb got replaced...even more light was added..
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

First thing I ordered arrived today and most of it will be here by tomorrow. I’ll continue with building the DTC and using the gladiator stuff until I decide if I like working out of a chest or off the wall (hey now enough of that). Once I do, I’ll either build supplementary chest storage for tools that don’t fit/accessories or better wall storage*.

* I’d hate to spend a lot of time on building things for the wall and find I like the chest better.

Put up some of what I had around…
    IMG_9788.jpgIMG_9790.jpg

and worked a little on the DTC…
    IMG_9785.jpg
    went from chopping along with a chisel to sawing out the side of the dado and preferred that method.

Blog Entries
    A few thoughts:

The hangers for hand planes always make me nervous. Lately there have been TV ads for a product insurance company with the tag line of "Everything Breaks." Yes, one of the laws of physics is to factor in wear or breakage from stress. (it may just be my own law, so if you are a Physics Major please don't tell me how this isn't in any of the books or studies)

One suggestion often rendered is for the bench to be against a wall. This doesn't work for me because my sawing is often done on top f the bench and the saw would be bumping the wall all the time. Also, both sides of my tail vise are useful to me. Being against the wall would make that impossible for one side to be used much.

Having the bench away from the wall kind of negates the idea of hanging tools on the wall behind the bench.

Sometimes there is an advantage in being able to work from both sides of the bench.

Some people love their tool well, other people hate having a tool well. To each their own.

My liking shelves and drawers for storing things was mentioned earlier. The space can be doubled by having doors with storage, for lighter tools included on the doors.

One way of thinking is how to conveniently store the most tools in the least amount of space. Look at the Studley Toolbox.

Studley Toolbox.jpg

It was supposedly designed to allow any tool to be accessed and removed with one hand. The most often used tools are the easiest to remove and at the front.

Here is a link to Studley inspired boxes > https://rainfordrestorations.com/201...tool-cabinets/

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 10-10-2023 at 3:39 PM. Reason: added link
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Jim, I had my bench against the wall you can see behind it but the extra long boards I've been working with made me pull it out. My thought about wall hanging storage is that it will be behind me with the bench in front of me. As far as the plane hangers, I will try to keep something under them. However, I’ve had them a while and have never had a problem. Has anyone used them with an LV large router plane though? See them with Stanley/LN large router planes on the website but not sure about it with LV’s angled knobs.

Jim, I had my bench against the wall you can see behind it but the extra long boards I've been working with made me pull it out. My thought about wall hanging storage is that it will be behind me with the bench in front of me. As far as the plane hangers, I will try to keep something under them. However, I’ve had them a while and have never had a problem. Has anyone used them with an LV large router plane though? See them with Stanley/LN large router planes on the website but not sure about it with LV’s angled knobs.
    I'm leery of hanging anything with much weight on the wall. Right now I've got my panel saws and draw knives on the wall, but there's a counter right below them and nothing on a hook or peg weighs much over a pound. To each their own on this though, I just wouldn't have any piece of mind with anything iron hanging from a single fastener.

Put up the new plane hangers and a dovetail marker holder that I’ve had forever. Also worked on the board.
    IMG_0738.jpgIMG_0739.jpgIMG_0740.jpgIMG_9948.jpg

Davids list echos some of my own experiences, having had some pretty small shops and currently making do quite nicely on one side of a two car garage.

I tend to like the main bench away from the wall. Wall space is valuable, but I put most all of my tools in drawers - for me this has been more space efficient but I lack the wall space, and clamps take up a fair bit of what I do have. All but one bench has drawers under it. Lumber up high or overhead where possible (overhead space is often overlooked). I do have two solvent cabinets where the flammables go. Sheet goods are always tricky for me and for the most part sheets get stacked along a wall (and I just have to remember whats underneath each other)

I tend to align my equipment and work space in 'lanes'. Wasnt intentional, but has just turned out that way.

Some paint the walls white to help with reflected light.

Related question: still trying to find a home for my bench grinder - how are those little single pole stands that a grinder bolts on top of? What is anyone’s solution to where your grinder lives?

Blog Entries
    Related question: still trying to find a home for my bench grinder - how are those little single pole stands that a grinder bolts on top of? What is anyone’s solution to where your grinder lives?
    My father had one and it worked fine. Though the grinder and the pedestal were made to be together. His was also a high speed grinder at 3600 rpm.

For my powered sharpening system a small bench (less than 2'X2') was made out of 2X4s and 2X6s.

Grinder Bench.jpg

A shelf has been added below for storage.

jtk

My grinder is on a pedestal, mostly because it saves floor space (it's pushed next to a post). Works fine, but more importantly is right near the bench.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Moved benches around yesterday. Was going to do some out there today but needs must drew me to other activities less enjoyable. Still haven’t thought about where to put the bandsaw and lumber.
    IMG_0749.jpg

An assembly table with drawers both sides or drawers and cubbies will get a lot off the floor. And put some wheels on it so you can move it around easy. This will keep your bench nice. You can also build sharpening into it.

Aside from that the lawn mower is green you can leave it outside

Harbor Freight grinder pedestal assembled. Surprisingly sturdy. Need to figure out what bolts to mount the grinder to it with. Got a Lee Valley saw holder and it’s on the wall. Now to get to work…
    IMG_0400.jpg