Thread: Which Guide Bushing?

Which Guide Bushing?

I am planning to use a 1/16" router bit for inlay work. Since I will be making a template to follow, which size bushing would you recommend? The bit will have a 1/4" shank. I am thinking
    maybe a bushing with a 5/16" inside diameter which would give me 1/16" clearance.

The inner size does not matter as long as it is more then 1/4". The OD will determine the template offset.

Do you plan on cutting both the inlay and the hole? You'll need two bushings.

1/4" shank in a 5/16" hole would have 1/32" clearance.

the math is no guarantee as there are tolerances. How well the router base sits centred on the motor, how centered the plastic base is, how centered the template bushing is in the plastic base. It can all introduce tolerances. They will hurt you or work to your advantage. enough times ive set up using one area on the template bushing that is different from the other side using that to advantage or pushing the bushing to one side before tightening. have a number that have been filed to reduce them as well when it would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    The inner size does not matter as long as it is more then 1/4". The OD will determine the template offset.
    The OD also limits the minimum template curvature that can be followed.

Yes, I do plan to do both. I realize that the ID has to be larger that 1/4". 5/16" will give me a 1/32" clearance - as long as there is not too much deflection, it should work. As for the OD, I want to go as small as possible.