Thread: Will I be satisfied

Question Will I be satisfied

Hi fellow woodworkers
    In about 4 weeks I will be getting my first band saw. It will be the Grizzly G0555 Ultimate 14" saw. It sports a 1hp motor. I was thinking of the Woodslicer or the Timberwolf in 3/4" blade, however, there may be a better choice out there. I want to be able to cut some hard maple and walnut of 6" thickness for the purpose of making veneer. Will this saw and proper blade do the job for me? Any ideas or comments wlii be very helpful. Thank you.

Vito,
    I don't have that saw but I have the new Craftsman 12" with a 7" resaw capacit and a 3/4 HP motor. I have had no problems resawing 6" hard maple on it so you should be in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Vito De Francisco
    I was thinking of the Woodslicer or the Timberwolf in 3/4" blade.
    I can't comment on the Woodslicer, never using one myself.

But don't use the Timberwolf 3/4" blade. I tried it and went back to the 1/2" Timberwolf blade. The 1/2" blade cuts much cleaner.

My BS is an old Rockwell 14" wood/metal-cutting with 2 HP motor, riser block and Carter high-tension spring.

I live in Prattville, Al, the preferred Community
    I have that same saw, and I can say that it is without a doubt, the best BS I have had, with the proper blade, you will be totally satisfied with the results. I would recommend the TW blades, but as of late, I have been reading that Lennox has blades that are getting rave reviews, and less $$ then the TW, you may want to try one of each to see which one will suit your purpose.

1/2" Woodslicer would be my vote.

- Vaughn

Damn Yankee, well it's good to know that someone is having luck with that saw. It makes me feel a little more confident in my choice. But then, that saw happened to be in my price range. If I could have bought it before the end of Dec. 2005, it would have been 50.00 cheaper. I talked to customer service at Grizzly today and was told that there was going to be a spring sale, but it was not known just what was going to be on sale. As long as it works for me , 50.00 don't mean a thing.

Guys, I will keep the 1/2" blade in mind. The tech at Grizzly suggested the 3/4" blade, but it will be just trial and error. I would rather go with hands on experiance . Thanks

I have the older 14-1/2" Grizzly 1019Z and I am quite pleased with it. I added a Rockler table and fence, plugged the original dust port and cut a hole on the opposite side for a 4" port, and it is wired for 220VAC. I have a variety of blade widths, but use the 1/2" for most things. I haven't had occasion to resaw as yet. It sets on a ShopFox mobile base modified with a second pair of swivel casters.

Lenox

Vito, look at the Lenox site to see if you can find a local dealer. You may save a bundle. I found a local industrial supply shop that will make blades to custom length and they are MUCH less than anything else, in some cases less than half the price. But, another local Lenox dealer was very expensive, so no guarantee.

Jake

I hope you got the riser block kit. I did, when I bought the G0550, three years ago. Am glad, amost monthly, that I have the additional height.

Bruce

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Name

The SMC Terms of Service require you to use a real first and last name. Please PM Jackie Outten with that information and she will upgrade your registration accordingly.

Took the trip to Bellingham to check out the 0555 when I first heard of it, travel was a full day from just south of Portland, Oregon.

The saw has done everything I have wanted it to do, using TW 3/4 inch blades for resawing and generic blades (Western Tool) when working with wet cedar---which shortly required replacing the OEM guide bearings. Common replacement at a bearing house.

One question: how do I get the "drift" that all bandsaws are supposed to have when resawing? In red oak, cedar and soft maple the cuts are just parallel to the fence, even with a six inch tall additional fence for eight inch wide red oak. Maybe I got a defective saw??

Just kidding, I'll take the 0555's "no drift cuts" anytime, seems like a great saw.

Tom