Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dewalt 735. Upgrade or Replace?

When I rotated the cutters on my helical head, I had some ridges and uneven planing. It’s very easy to get debris under the cutters, so make sure it’s blown out and they are seated correctly. After I did that, it was back to normal and smooth again.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    That company sells a 2-row and a 4-row. The 4-row (which I linked), actually has more cutters than the Byrd (56 vs. 40).

Now the point of "who makes this" is absolutely accurate. It's coming out of some Chinesium factory, fronted by a Hong Kong-based distributor. I'm on the record as being ok with taking a gamble on some of these things, understanding that I might be SOL if something goes wrong. But if you aren't one for gambling, the Byrd head is the right choice.
    I just purchased a helical cutter head for my Ridgid TP1300 from FindBuyTool.com and I have to admit the machining is what I would expect from the price point. The male threads on one end required some filing to get the nut to go on smoothly. The seats for all the cutter heads seemed a bit rough. While installing the cutters, 2 or 3 of them cracked and one even shattered. I thought it was overtightening, but when I replaced and tightened with the same tension, they seated fine.
    The machine spun up fine and a test board revealed more snipe at the tail than I'm used to so I had to adjust both tables. But the noise was considerably lower and the cut was smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Salgado View Post
    I just purchased a helical cutter head for my Ridgid TP1300 from FindBuyTool.com and I have to admit the machining is what I would expect from the price point. The male threads on one end required some filing to get the nut to go on smoothly. The seats for all the cutter heads seemed a bit rough. While installing the cutters, 2 or 3 of them cracked and one even shattered. I thought it was overtightening, but when I replaced and tightened with the same tension, they seated fine.
    The machine spun up fine and a test board revealed more snipe at the tail than I'm used to so I had to adjust both tables. But the noise was considerably lower and the cut was smooth.
    I actually did end up buying one for my 735, as well. For the price, I can't complain. I didn't note any glaring machining issues, and installed without trouble.I didn't have any of the inserts shatter or crack, but I did use a torque screwdriver to get them to spec.

I suppose this is the issue with a budget option. Could be hit or miss from one unit to the next. I have to say that the performance seems to be as expected. Just ran about 50 board feet of birch through it without issue. Haven't had the breaker trip, but I only take a fat 1/32 on a pass. Can't speak to the longevity yet, but even if I only get a limited period out of it, I'll be happy.

Late to the party as usual. I seem to remember several years back that poeple were complaining about excess wear and ridges using genuine De Walt knives. I don't remember hearing about any recall on knives, but the complaints stopped after a few months. I have three extra sets of De Walt knives that I purchased on sale about then and have always wondered if they were good ones or not.

Actually I may never know. I purchased my planer when they were pretty new (10+ years ago?), and I use it reasonably often in DIY years and mostly on oak, poplar and pine. I take cuts mostly at half a turn, and I am still on the first set of knives, and have only shifted one blade over a bit when I got a nick several years ago.

I think I was lucky and got the 'magic blades' when I first purchased at a show.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I think I was lucky and got the 'magic blades' when I first purchased at a show.
    I had a set of those magical blades for my 735. They seemed to be cutting good forever. Then I knicked a blade on a knot. Flipped the blades to the new side and could not believe the difference. The "magical" blades were cutting good and smooth but the new side was like a different machine. In hindsight the blades were dull and I did not realize it until I cut with a new edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    I had a set of those magical blades for my 735. They seemed to be cutting good forever. Then I knicked a blade on a knot. Flipped the blades to the new side and could not believe the difference. The "magical" blades were cutting good and smooth but the new side was like a different machine. In hindsight the blades were dull and I did not realize it until I cut with a new edge.
    We humans don't necessarily see gradual change very well, whether it's kids growing up or planer knives getting dull. A long, drawn out process can lead to complacency sometimes and relative to the planer knives, sometimes folks forget that they are "disposables". (yea, some can be resharpened, but more and more folks use machines that just use replacement) I'm guilty of the same with my Tersa knives as they cut so well even when worn. It's only when a nick occurs and I go to reposition a knife or two slightly to remedy that I notice how worn/dirty they have become over time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...