Thread: Curly maple and Peruvian walnut Critique requested

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Brian, I like it! The contrasting woods with the grain in the curly maple and the Peruvian walnut play beautifully together! I agree with John Keeton, the base could have used a minor form change but as he said that's minor! I like the overall form except as I noted. Well done, Sir!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-07-2024 at 2:13 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I like it a lot. How did you turn the maple? Did you just cut portions from a larger bowl? I’ve never tried anything like that but looks fun.
    Tom

That's essentially right. I cut my curly maple in half lengthwise, and put a piece of scrap poplar in between the maples. The scrap plus the width of the maples was equal to the length of the maples. It was in effect a funny looking bowl blank. I made a bowl, cut the poplar out with a band saw, sanded and glued the maples together with the walnut in between. I hope that makes sense, I don't explain things well.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    That's essentially right. I cut my curly maple in half lengthwise, and put a piece of scrap poplar in between the maples. The scrap plus the width of the maples was equal to the length of the maples. It was in effect a funny looking bowl blank. I made a bowl, cut the poplar out with a band saw, sanded and glued the maples together with the walnut in between. I hope that makes sense, I don't explain things well.
    Thanks, that makes sense.

I’m just south of Provo - just moved here from Chicago a couple years ago. A lot less hardwoods here in the desert compared to the Midwest, though our monthly turners club meetings are at craft supplies which is pretty cool.

Tom

I like it too. Very nicely composed, good color contrasts and not the same ole same ole. Agree with above comments that it looks like a museum piece. Thanks for sharing!

Tom,

Where are you at in Utah? I'm down in the Layton area a lot for family stuff.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling