Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router Base Plate

Over the years, I have made dozens of custom base plates, depending upon the need at the time. Most were made from 1/4" polycarbonate (Lexan) of which I have a bunch of scraps, plus a 4X8 sheet left over from a job. My custom, micro adjustable circle jig is made from 3/4" plywood. To locate holes for mounting, first I drill a 1/4" hole, and mount a 1/4" rod in router, and insert into drilled hole. Then using pointed set screws in mounting holes mark hole location on base plates. Drill holes and counter sink for screw heads. I made a jig that allows me to trim base plates within a couple thousandths of square, or turn it almost perfectly round. One base plate was made from 1/2" BB, and it's long enough to span opening opening in cabinets to allow for trimming of edge banding. I have some custom circles that allow me to make various sized corner radius corners. A set of transfer punches from HF allow for transferring factory base plate holes to custom base plates. Bill Hylton's book, ROUTER MAGIC has a several chapters devoted to making custom base plates.

2. I was browsing recently and found these: https://makeawoodsign.com/collection...ic-base-plates

Tamars is well though out and useful. But a few different bases may be the ticket. I got the milwaukee cordless palm a little back. Its got a pretty good base about 6" diameter. The colt I had originally seamed to have too small a base as did the dewalt i recently sold. A 6" or 7" round base would be my most used.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Russell View Post
    I was browsing recently and found these: https://makeawoodsign.com/collection...ic-base-plates
    Those bases would be much more useful if they were round in my opinion. Being oval, they would not be practical to use with an edge guide.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gibbons View Post
    I ended up buying a piece of 1/4” plexiglass and plan to make my own. The Woodpecker plate looks awesome but the cost plus shipping in almost as much as what I paid for the router. The 6-1 jig looks great but most of the functions I will never use.

I paid $27 for a 12” by 24” 1/4” thick plexiglass from Amazon and the shipping is free. Hopefully I won’t regret my decision.
    In case this helps . . .

Use your original base as a template for hole layout.

Colt Teardrop (1).jpg

I did a stepped hole to accept collars.
    Colt Teardrop (3).jpg

The plunge base really makes the Colt what it was destined to be IMHO ;-)
    Colt Teardrop (4).jpg

This no longer available one was made by Pat Warner but could give you ideas if you want more stability along with a compact footprint.
    Colt-Offset-2.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Woodhaven sells several types of phenolic compact base plates for a decent price. Free shipping.

https://woodhaven.com/collections/trim-router-plates

Yep, personally I’m a big fan of phenolic.