Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
What was your rating in the Navy?
I signed up with a guaranteed "A" school for electronics. Then went to two "C" schools.
In 6 years total. Once I was discharged I found work in electronics and eventually in Aerospace in Calibration, Electronics lab, but also helped out in the Dimensional, Optical, and Physical Labs.
I'm sure I would have made more as an electrician, but I had no desire to move around to job sites or be a lineman for the public electric companies.

I eventually went to university on both the GI Bill and the "Aerospace nickel" (McDonnell-Douglas/Boeing) and got a BA History. That was just for my own satisfaction.
Boeing wanted me to move into management. "Thanks, but no thanks." Happy as a tech, Salaried, Non-Exempt.
My NAvy electronics training served me very well for 40 years.
When I enlisted I wanted to be a CTM. My ASVAB score was two points below the minimum for the Nave Advanced Electronics Program. They tried to get me to take Mineman, Torpedoman and other things I promptly rejected. Eventually, they offered me IS and I accepted.

I was in the GI Bill doughnut hole. I came in too late for the Vietnam Era GI Bill and too early for Montgomery GI Bill. Yeah, I got completely hosed because I fell into the VEAP program which was completely useless.

I did nine years and got out as an IS1.